13 Years Old

"What's his name? Can I see a picture of him?" Kie asks excitedly. I pull a cell phone from my pocket.

"Of course," I say, excited that I have a girl to be excited with. When I told John B I had a boyfriend, all he said was 'cool, want to go swimming?'

I thumb through my photo album and pull up a picture of the two of us. "His name is Shane, we had a lot of our classes together," I inform her as I hand the phone over.

"Wow, he's cute, Em!" Kie says, admiring the photo.

"Let me see this douchebag," JJ says, snatching the phone from Kie's grasp. "Looks like a real winner, Em."

I scowl at him. "You're mean," I say, reaching for the phone. He holds it up high. "I wouldn't call your girlfriend names."

"He'd have to have one first," John B jokes. JJ gives him a death stare and he stops.

"Look, all I'm saying is you could do better than a loser like this. Seriously," JJ says, his scowl still present.

"Oh, you mean like you?" I say jokingly, but his expression tells me I struck a nerve. He huffs and walks off.

Kie makes a face. "Looks like you struck a nerve there, Em."

John B gives her a look. "She has. She knows it," he says, looking over at me.

"Does he...?" I don't finish the question, but they both know what I'm asking.

"Of course he does," John B says. Kie nods in agreement.

"Oh," I say, unable to process the information. One lone butterfly flutters in my stomach at the thought. I push the thought away and refocus.

"Okay, anyone up for Uno?"