Chapter One: Beatrix Manor

"I don't understand why we have to go." I huffed, tugging on my newly dyed purple hair, looking out the window of my mother's Lexus SUV. I had no idea why she liked this car so much. It was an awful sage green, and the inside seats were leather and a horrible carob brown. It was one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. "Because Florence-" She said, but I cut in. "Flora." I corrected her. She knew how much I hated my name, it sounded like a boy's name.

    I didn't miss the sign of annoyance from her. "Because Flora," She stubbornly corrected herself. "It's your Great Uncle Haymish's birthday. He's turning ninety, and it's important the whole family is there." She explained as she turned into his Manor. "Ok, but I still don't understand why you made me wear this." I said squirming in my uncomfortable-and ugly- yellow and green dress that looked like a tutu. The top was a honey yellow, and then my skirt was teal, and it had a wrap around the waist that was tight, and made it almost impossible to breathe.  

    My mother sighed again before she replied. "Because it is a formal event, and that was the most formal I could find last minute." She muttered, as I watched the Manor triple in size as we pulled up the driveway. "It's bloody hideous." I complained. "Watch your language." My mother snapped, as she pulled the car into the parking lot, and turned around to look at me. "Just please, try and behave, and don't embarrass yourself, or me." She instructed and I nodded, agreeing to whatever she said just so I could get out of the car, and stretch my legs.

    My mother looked down and shook her head, but then looked like she was about to murder me. "I told you to wear your heels." She hissed. She was acting like I wore my combat boots. "They're just my converse. Just be happy I wore shoes at all." I said the last part under my breath so she wouldn't hear me. "You know what, whatever. Get out of the car. Let's just go." She said, and I didn't miss the murderous look she shot my way.

    We walked out of the parking lot, and into the back garden where the party was being held. My mother went right up to my uncle Hamish who was sitting in his wheelchair just watching everyone else interact with each other. "Haymish!" My mother cheerily called to him. "Ah, Nancy." He had greeted her in an old raspy voice that sounded like sandpaper against a chalkboard. "It is so nice to see you, and who is this?" He asked looking at me. He knew exactly who I was, he was just either old and forgot, or didn't even want to acknowledge my existence. Nobody really liked me here, I was considered the weirdo of the family, because I didn't dress or act "proper". 

    My mother started talking to uncle Haymish as I zoned out and started looking around. The garden was beautiful, there were so many flowers around in so many different colours. But never any- I stopped my thoughts right in their place, when I saw the most oddest thing. There was a rabbit sitting a few feet away, staring at me. That wasn't the odd thing about it, it was wearing a navy blue waistcoat. I started at the rabbit, and he didn't move, he just started right back at me, and it was like we were having a staring contest.

I had no idea how long I was staring at this rabbit for when my mother called my name. "Mh?" I asked, blinking and looking at her. When I looked at my mother she let out the fakest laugh I have ever heard that it almost made me cringe. "Haymish was asking about your schooling." She said tightly, and I didn't miss the look of disapprovement in her eyes. "Oh, yes." I said smiling.

    Before I could answer my mother's cousin Tilly called her from across the yard. "If you'll excuse me." She said, before walking over to meet her cousin. "Anyways," I said politely. "I'm majoring in-" I was once again cut off, but this time by Haymish. "You see it too don't you?" He asked me.