Chapter 38

There actually wasn't that much time till the competition. But within this narrowing band of time to practice, I never felt more blissful. Because of my feelings toward Yin Li and my newfound understanding of life, I danced with no regard for the first time ever. My body was weary but my heart was increasingly excited.

However, an unexpected turn of events ruined all plans.

"The competition's committee has rejected your application to compete." Wu Ke's expression was heavy, and she was hesitant to continue speaking. But in the end, she still blurted everything out. "The number of people registering has tripled this time. The committee put out an urgent notice saying they will evaluate dance studios and issues invitations to those eligible. The studios with invitations are eligible to send their students to competition. All competition participants must be backed by an eligible dance studio.

"The competition winner will have the opportunity to attend the famous ballet schools in Boston, Paris, or Italy. Also, many of the judges have connections with world-class ballet troupes. If a judge looks well upon you, you could receive pointers or even directly enter a world-class troupe in one leap. Every dancer dreams of such an opportunity, and it's no surprise that everyone eagerly rushed at this chance. The online registration system even went down. Because of this emergency, the committee could only choose to go this route. They would strictly vet the competitors, and even request a dancer's bone growth diagrams, dietary programs, and health status."

I had no strength to face these incredibly shocking new rules. I felt a little dazed. Ballet was indeed an art strict in requirements. Because of its deep history and old-fashioned tendencies, the ballet world found it hard to accept dancers who didn't fit the mold. They valued whom a dancer mentored under, what school the dancer learned ballet at, and what background the dancer came from. Many dancers did indeed walk this predefined road. In international competitions, practically all winners had this sort of background. Because of this, the committee's new rules weren't out of line.

But with these circumstances, I could no longer attend the competition. I looked helplessly at Yin Li.

"Give me a moment." Like always, he smiled at me tenderly. He turned and walked out, only to return a moment later. But this time his expression was a bit heavy.

"I called the heads of all the good-reputation ballet schools in China." He muttered and pinched the bridge of his nose. "But I couldn't stick you in. These schools haven't even received invitations."

Yin Li looked at me in concern.

"I want you to know that your dancing is wonderful, but it's only one part of you. You still have many other wonderful things."

Wu Ke also comforted me. "There are many other competitions you can compete in."

I tried my best to calm myself and nodded. But when I was alone, I bawled my eyes out.

In these months, I had poured my whole soul into practicing. Because my goal post suddenly disappeared, I didn't know what to do. I was unresigned to this fate.

Even if it was hopeless, I still wanted to write Madame Taylor an email. At that time, my emotions were roiling. My words were incoherent as I wrote of my life and my feelings at this time: I want to return to the stage. I don't want to dance just for Yin Li, but for the world.

I didn't expect that Madame Taylor would reply so promptly. But her tone couldn't exactly be called warm. She wrote: I'm very sorry for all that you have suffered, but you have not moved me enough.

I wasn't convincing enough.

I stared at the email on the screen. I really didn't know how to move her.