Chapter 18: The Moment

When we face a challenge, our flight or fight mode activates. Are we gonna fly and just turn around and leave. Or are we going to stay and fight through the challenge. However, there will always be moments when we believe we can do something and the it becomes even more of a challenge. It becomes hard to decide what to do. Or how to do it. Don't fly. Fight.

Steve and I sat in math class.  We had a couple of minutes before school ended. "Are you excited to get the test results back?" Steve asked.

"I forgot that was even today, I can't believe it's already February." I sighed as we sat down.

"I just hope I pass." Steve said as I turned around in faces him.

"I'm one thousand percent positive you did." I said smiling. He smiled too.

The teacher walked around and gave the tests. She handed Steve's test. "Good job Steve." The teacher said. She handed me my test too.

"No peeking!" I said as I put my test in my bag.

The bell rung. Steve and I walked in the hall. "Mr. Randle can we talk?" The coach said. Steve looked at me.

"I'll wait in the car." I smiled. He nodded and walked away.

-
"What was that about?" I asked as Steve got in the car.

"So, I failed P.E and since coach checked my grades, he said he would pass me if I did a sport." He said. I looked at him.

"What sport are you thinking about?" I said as we drove to my house.

"I already decided. I'm doing baseball. I have no idea who knows how to play but coach agreed to try and teach me." He said.

"I don't think that's necessary. My dad and Leo both know how to play. I'm sure they could help you." I said.

"Do you think they'd want to?" He asked.

"I'm sure of it. I'm pretty sure my father would like to get to know my guy best friend." I smiled. We pulled into my driveway and got out.

"My parents are gonna be home later." I said opening the door. We both sat down in the dinning table. Quickly grabbing our test results.

"Ready?" He asked. I nodded

"One.... two.... three." We both said at the same time.

We opened the tests. "I passed with a ninty-nine point five" I said as I smiled.

He smiled and looked up at me. "I got a ninty-three" he smiled.

"What!? Oh my god really!?" I asked as my eyes lit up. His eyes lit up too.

"Yes." He said as a smile creeped on his face we both stood up and hugged.

"I'm so proud of you." I whispered.

We pulled away. And in that moment. It's like time was paused. Like in this moment, it was just me and him. Staring in eachother's eyes. I stared at his face. Examining in detail all of his facial features. The way his eyes sparkled. The rosy tint of his cheeks. The nude pink color of his lips. His breath brushed my lips. I felt my pulse quicken by the second.

Something else could've happened but the door opened up. We quickly pulled away

" Steve, boss is coming to the store and he said he wants to talk to everyone." Soda said. Steve looked at me and grabbed his backpack.

"Bye, I'll see you tomorrow." Steve said as he bent down and pecked my cheek. I smiled.

"Bye." I said. Soda pecked Meredith on the lips. The door closed. I turned around and headed to my room.

"Soo..." Mer said following me.

"What?.." I said.

"Soda asked me to Prom." She smiled.

"Ou sounds like that night is going to be great." I said as I looked at her.

"What about you and Steve? Has he asked you out?" She asked as she played a record.

"Nope." I said.

"He will soon." She assured.

Give everything a moment. Time. With time, things will happen. Just close your eyes. Take a deep breath. And relax. If it's meant to happen, it will happen. Trust me...