Chapter 20

The sun was high in the sky marking the afternoon hour of the day. The party was now in full swing with visitors and friends having joined much later and were busy catching up. KongPob had restricted himself to the back, a bit far from everyone else. The only time he mingled with the rest was when each guest was given a chance to meet the baby face to face and present their gifts. The baby was a beautiful, healthy girl who had opened her eyes the very moment that KongPob went up to her. She almost smiled at him just by seeing his face and the action did warm KongPob's heart. He adored kids as most people and she was adorable. He gave the parents his gifts and a word of congratulations which was well received by the mother though P'Mun was another case. As much as he didn't want to seem unwelcoming and a bad host, P'Mun really didn't feel happy about KongPob being there but that wasn't his fault rather his brother's.
      After that KongPob resigned to himself having nothing much to do with the rest. San occasionally tried to keep him company but he was caught up by other friends that he more often than not forgot that KongPob was there with him. It was around 2 o'clock after lunch that KongPob decided to call P'Arthit. They hadn't spoken since morning and P'Arthit was still in a sulky mood when KongPob had left. Besides, he needed something to distract him at the very least. The phone rang for a long period of time but no one answered. He tried again but no answer. 'Mhhhhh, that was strange! P'Arthit never missed his calls.' KongPob decided to wait, maybe he was busy at the money then he would try again. 10 minutes passed and he called again, this time the call didn't even go through. The line was unreachable.
         KongPob felt an uneasy feeling settle in his stomach which he couldn't explain. He was never a paranoid type of a person but something was going on. He felt it. He tried 2 more times and the same results ensued. Now..... He was concerned. 'Why would P'Arthit switch off his phone? Even if the battery was dead P'Arthit would have charged it by then since he hated when his phone was off.' He calmly tried to come up with a logical explanation but that uneasy feeling didn't go away. No..... something was going on.
          KongPob was still contemplating hard when San rejoined him, his arm slinging over KongPob's shoulders.
         “Heyyyyyy KongPob, are you enjoying the party? I know u haven't been around much but I'm here now to keep you company so don't worry and let's have some fun,” San slurred a clear indication he was intoxicated, staggering on his feet with a glass of pink punch in his left hand. KongPob looked up to San, his face flushes but he wasn't too drunk not to know what he was doing.

      “I'm sorry P'San but I have to leave. Something has come up that requires my attention.” KongPob said definitely as he began picking up his stuff much to San's displeasure.
     “Leave..... KongPob - eh-what are you talking about? You just got here.” San whined not understanding what KongPob was saying. Tonight was the night he was going to confess and yet again KongPob was slipping out of his grasp.
KongPob gave him a small apologetic smile before heading to the door. “Please give P'Mun and his wife my farewell greetings and gratitude for hosting me. Also my apologies for leaving so suddenly. I'll see you on Monday then P'San. Goodbye.”
KongPob then left leaving a stunned and confused San. By the time San's motor skills had finally decided to move, KongPob was already in the car and San was once again engulfed by another group of friends who obscured his view and business.

KongPob's mind was whirling with thoughts though he did a good job not showing it off. He tired recalling P'Arthit's phone but there was still no answer. He kept himself calm and just waited until he got home to get to the bottom of the matter. Honestly, he was also a bit relieved that he had gotten out of San's party. It had been a bit suffocating to say the least and he was grateful that it was P'Arthit's crisis that had somehow saved him though he hoped it wasn't anything bad.
It took about 1 1/2 hours to get back home due to heavy traffic but he was relieved to have arrived none the less. He took the stairs 4 at a time, keys ready in his hands. He was winded by the time he reached his floor but he was determined to find out what was wrong. The door was abruptly opened and KongPob was faced with a dripping wet P'Arthit who was only in a towel. What a sight to see!