Journey

Woken early you twang the strings on your lyre as the morning sun rose, your fingers pluck at the strings, bored, unsure of what's next. Are these your companions? You're not much of a fighter, how will it work? Among the many drunken utterances that can only loosely be labelled conversation, the Mighty Nein gave you a mighty bribe. Jester, the highly enthusiastic tiefling offered 5 gold and a cut for joining today's conquest, a simple fight against the cities Gnolls. At least it would be simple if you had skill, you hoped that staying lurking in the shadows would be enough to earn your coin.
Your new acquaintances stir awake, groaning from your music. Clearly they weren't morning people. You did what was best, leave them be, get the taverns special: plain breakfast.

You're alone, fingers tapping the wooden tables surface in agony, hungry, waiting. Your stomach grumbles loudly, only to be interrupted by a deep voice.
"You should've ate more last night."
The wizard stares at you coldly, like a stern parent, warning you. He had gathered your interest, enjoying his snide remarks that you could rebuttal back, using your bardic charm that would only frustrate the man more.
"Why should I take advice from the man that dresses as if he's homeless, don't allow me to even start on the stench you carry."
You scoff, sipping your ale as breakfast is placed upon tables, waiting for the rest of the Mighty Nein's arrival. You liked him. That was clear but there was no clear bond. You sit there in silence, watching the man eat. The tension could be cut with Fjords sword. The anxious figure before you seemed to hold mystery, Caleb's intentions weren't clear, you didn't know if he liked or hated you, it was as if he was stringing you along.

The others soon join you, gearing up, ready for battle. Luckily, breaking you from your thoughts was probably the best, you began to look weird, analysing Caleb as if he's your test subject. You witnessed a lot that morning, Nott's indulgence was the most notable, the sight of her teeth ripping into the meat before her, rapidly finishing all that was in front of her.
"O-oh! Caleb! Are you going to join us today? Do you need any books?"
The goblin pestered, gathering intel, planning her own schedule.
"Ja, I shall join you, I have finished my browse in the cities library it is only fair I help now."
He smiles at the goblin, patting her head gently reassuringly, he showed warmth towards her, it was nice to see his real self. Nott leans over, "whispering" incredibly loudly
"What about y/n? Are they coming Caleb? I doubt they can fight."
His face drops, turning to look at you, acknowledging your existence for the first time since he sat down.
"U-uhh, I don't know Nott frankly."
He waves towards you, grabbing your attention. Your eyes lift to meet his, naively pretending you couldn't hear their conversation.
"Y/n? Will you be joining us today? You see, my friend here is intrigued."
You don't answer, giving a simple nod that answers, he was incredibly formal, polite even.
You wondered how long it would take for him to trust you. Nay, for him to even acknowledge you.

Soon you were dragged from the tavern, a purple hand of Molly's interrogating you as you were led to horses. Molly was kind, he understood you, the need to perform to make ends meet. Unknowingly he was who you were closest too. He hands you cards, taking your tarot reading as you'll prepare for battle. Fjord addressed the new-found team, establishing need for horses, kindly helping your petite figure to hoist up onto Crapper before you all head off to battle. Horseback was necessary, this was the boring part of the day, travelling. No fighting or sense of freedom, just the chore you have to finally get use to. Yourself and the mighty nein approach the target location, several Gnolls in the area, waiting to be slain, stopped from taking the cities precious crops and cattle. As you move along, gripping the reins of your steed a familiar green goblin creeps upon you.
"What are your intentions y/n?...with my son that is! No the group in general!"
You didn't know just how to answer, was Caleb her son? How is that even possible? What does she mean by intentions? A wave of confusion filled you, unsettling you, creating nerves.

(A/n cliff hanger, it's 2am oop plus I have no confidence in this yet I-)