64. Civil War

Everly's legs burned as she hurled herself forward, slamming into T'Challa just before he could sink his claws into Bucky's throat. She watched as he effortlessly sprung to his feet, his chest heaving as he turned to face her. Though she couldn't see his face through the panther mask, she could picture the anger engraved into his features. She stepped sideways, planting herself between he and Bucky, who was hauling himself off of the ground. 

T'Challa leapt into the air and spun around, kicking her square in the chest. She stumbled backward and moved toward him once more when he was suddenly tossed across the runway, smashing into a trailer. Everly groaned and blew a bit of hair from her face as she looked to Wanda, who seemed to be saving all of their bacon. 

"I had it." Bucky breathed as she helped him to his feet. 

"I know." She scoffed, shaking her head before hurrying off to the next person. 

As her feet pounded against the concrete, a blast landed directly before her. She skidded to a stop and looked into the sky just as Tony clattered to the ground. He held out a palm to her, but hesitated to fire a second time.

"Please, stop this." He said, his tone laced with a heartbreaking desperation. She stood a bit straighter and uncurled her fists as she stared at the glowing eye-slits of his mask. She wished there was some way to make him understand.

"I can't." She whispered. To her surprise, he lowered his arm back at his side and stood there a few moments more, as if instead waiting for her to make a move. She looked at him oddly, her face scrunched up in confusion as he slowly stepped away. Her eyes grew wide when she heard the repulsers firing up, though he quickly aimed into the sky above her. He flew into the air once again as Sam soared by overhead and she let out a breath she hadn't even realized she'd been holding.

Everly quickly ducked behind cover when a few stray blasts whizzed by her head. She flinched as Steve appeared beside her, Bucky sliding up on her opposite side.

"We gotta go. That guy's probably in Siberia by now." Bucky hurried, his chest heaving. Everly glanced back at Steve who looked into the sky.

"We gotta draw out the flyers. I'll take Vision, you get to the jet." She frowned.

"No, you get to the jet." Sam returned through their earpieces. "Both of you!" Steve met Everly's eyes and his brow creased with worry. "The rest of us aren't getting out of here."

"As much as I hate to admit it, if we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it." Clint added. Steve couldn't peel his eyes away from the woman before him, who smiled sadly.

"This isn't the real fight, Steve." She said quietly. He shook his head in retaliation.

"You're coming too." 

"Steve, you-"

"I wasn't asking." He interrupted. She paused and rose a challenging brow, peeking at Bucky behind her. He directed his gaze back to the fighting and she sighed.

"All right, Sam. What's the plan?" She asked, her eyes still locked onto Steve's. His face softened in the slightest as she spoke.

"We need a diversion. Something big."

"I got something kinda big." Scott added. "But I can't hold it very long." Steve and Bucky exchanged a look and Everly shifted in place, readying herself to run. "On my signal, run like hell. And if I tear myself in half, don't come back for me." 

"I'm sorry. What?" Everly questioned, blinking a few times.

Bucky furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "He's gonna tear himself in half?"