Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

chapter 4 - congratulations, I think

"And to complete our tour of Casa Del Crappy, this is the thermostat

"And to complete our tour of Casa Del Crappy, this is the thermostat." Fallon stopped in the front hallway, tapping the yellowed analog box with her hot-pink fingernail. "Not that it works, if it's anything like mine." She laughed, but I didn't think she was kidding.

I nodded absently, but it was hard to focus on the tour of the run-down apartment with a tour guide that looked like a Sports Illustrated model. Her black racerback tank top hugged every curve of her upper body, dipping just low enough in the front to pique my imagination. Army-green shorts showed off her shapely legs. And her full, pillowy pink lips looked like they were designed for kissing... or other things.

I was moving here to stay out of trouble, but somehow got the sense I was in more trouble than before.

"Do you need anything else?" Fallon's voice snapped me back to reality. You'd think I had never seen a woman before. I guess I hadn't seen one like this.

My eyes traveled back up to meet hers. She looked at me questioningly. Instead of focusing on the walk-through, I'd been staring at her. To be fair, she was infinitely more appealing than peeling laminate flooring. But I could have been a little less obvious.

"No." I cleared my throat. "I'm good, thanks."

"Have you made a decision or do you want some time to think about it?" Fallon turned and peered down the hall, where Jackson had run off to play with Gus in a spare bedroom.

"No," I said. "I'll take it."

She turned back to face me, brow knit together. "You're sure?"

"This is the best I've seen," I told her.

"Really?" Her expression turned to a mixture of pity and disbelief.

"Really." I couldn't believe it either. But I was short on time and money, and the other options were even worse.

One of the units I viewed this morning had already been taken—by a family of rats. The other apartment was occupied by a squatter who was none too happy to see me and the manager in his bathroom. And by his 'bathroom', I mean the apartment living room.

Laughably, Alexis texted offering to let me stay with her. I hadn't even bothered to reply. Not a fucking chance. I'd probably wake up chained to the bed.

While this place was kind of dumpy, it was clean...ish. It only smelled a little bit like mildew. There were no obvious signs of vermin infestation. And most importantly, it was cheap.

This was only temporary anyway, until my father came to his senses or I managed to liquidate some assets. Whichever came first. The building manager said I could do month-to-month instead of committing to a year lease. For an extra monthly fee, of course.

"We don't usually allow dogs, though." She frowned.

"Jerry said I could put down a pet deposit for Gus. Half a month's rent."