I met Cass on a Tuesday. I was sitting in a Starbucks, because all things happen in a Starbucks, waiting for my sister Anya to get done in the bathroom. We had already gotten our drinks but she rushed to the bathroom as soon as we did, mumbling about girl problems.

I didn't pry.

I was lounging in a comfy leather chair by the door when he walked in. He was an average height, maybe 5' 10" or so, with a runner's build. He looked to 19 or 20, a little younger than me. His hair was in a middle part- more surfer than e-boy. He had a spray of freckles, bright hazel eyes, and the kind of mouth that was used to smiling. That was what got me. The smile.

Now, I'm pretty cool about everything. I tended to date girls, but I'd been with my fair share of guys, with a few genderqueer people sprinkled in. So when the attraction hit, I wasn't taken aback.

He brushed a strand bronze hair out of his eyes and got in line. The boy had a restless sort of energy, one that never seemed to slow down. His fingers- long and narrow- drummed against his phone case. He shifted his stance constantly, going from straight legged to leaning to slouched to upright.

My sister came out and I watched as the boy's eyes followed her to me. We made brief eye contact. He looked a little deflated at first, and then seemed to realize that we were related. We both looked pretty similar: wavy brown hair, brown eyes, and tan skin. She was 5'4" to my 6'1" but then again, she was a girl and I was a guy. And we were 3 and a half years apart.

Anya took a seat next to me, talking in a tone low enough for me to strain my ears. "Shane, do you see that guy over there? With the middle part?" I nodded.

"Can you ask him for his Snapchat?" I could tell she was trying hard not to seem too interested, but some desperation still leaked into her voice. It wasn't like her to be that invested about guys.

"He's a little too old for you," I said.

"I'm about to be a senior." Anya whined.

I thought it over. By the look he gave my sister, I could tell he was straight. I glanced over at him. He was ordering, smiling that damn smile. I pushed my attraction down. I wasn't going to let my crush interfere with my sister's love life. She rarely was interested in dating.

"Fine," I glared at her, "but if I find out he's my age or older, the answer is no."

"God, you're so overprotective." She rolled her eyes good-naturedly. Her gaze returned to the boy quickly. He was waiting for his drink, occasionally shooting a smile at her.

"You've never been to college. Guys there can be absolute predators and treat women like objects." I handed her my drink. "Don't drink any, I'll be right back."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw her try to take a sip, and I pegged her with my wadded up straw wrapper.

"Hey." I smiled, approaching him. "I'm Shane. Shane Lincoln."

He grinned at me. His eyes seemed to dance, and I felt like I was in a cliché movie. "I'm Cass. Are you her brother?" He didn't have to point for me to know what girl he was talking about.

"Yeah, that's Anya." I hesitated, unsure about how to ask for his Snapchat. Then I remembered my rule. "How old are you?"

"I'm 20." His smile faltered. "How old is Anya?"

"She'll be 18 in September." I sighed, then clasped him on his shoulder. It was firm, and I revised my theory about him being a runner in exchange for a surfer or life guard. "Congrats, you barely made the cusp."

"The cusp of what?" His smile was completely gone now. It's absents made it easier to think like a Big Brother, and not like a guy trying to get a boyfriend.

"I have a rule that if they're my age, she can't date them— at least until she's 18." I shrugged. "Lucky for you, I turned 21 last Saturday."

His order was set out— a big order just for him. He tried to balance 6 different drinks.

"Here, lemme help you." I grabbed 2 of them. I glanced at my sister, trying to signal for her to make a move, but she was trapped in a conversation with a friend from school. I made a split second decision to continue the conversation with Cass. I did it for selfish reasons, but I figured it would also help Anya out with him.

"What's with the big order?" I asked, helping him carry it out to his car. The Florida heat hummed around us and I regretted leaving my A/C sanctuary.

"I'm a life guard at the beach and volunteered a coffee run." He led me to a red Jeep. The doors were off in the front, and it seemed to be covered in sand. That's not safe, I thought, examining the openness with interest. His entire personality was open and relaxed.

"Which beach?" We were in Jacksonville, and there were several beaches. The one's closest were Jax Beach, which was where I grew up, Ponte Vedra, Neptune Beach, and Atlantic Beach.

"Jax Beach." He replied. His cup holders were full with a water bottle and an empty can of Diet Coke holding sunflower seed shells. I stood there awkwardly, the frappuccino's melting in my grip.

"Uh, you can set the other 2 in the door cup holders." Cass said. He was busy trying to make sure the cardboard tray holding the other 4 drinks didn't fall off the back seats.

"You seem to be missing those." I chuckled.

He glanced at me and did a double take. "Oh shit, yeah I am." He reaches up and necked himself. "That's a neck."

I laughed again. "Hey, can I get your snap?"

"Are you asking for Anya or for yourself?" He grabbed one of the drinks from my hand and began to slurp it down. I watched in faint disgust.

"A bit of both." I shrugged. "You seem pretty cool, and I need a summer job."

"Do you go to school around here?" Cass sat down in the driver's seat but didn't seem to be leaving any time soon.

"I go to Flagler but I'm from Jax Beach." I was still holding the drink. "You?"

"I'm from Tampa but I go to JU." I was impressed. JU was a private university and crazy expensive.

"That's cool."

"Yeah tuition is crazy but I got in on a full ride for lacrosse." He shrugged and pulled out his phone.

"Oh, yeah right." I fumbled with my cell and gave him my snap. At the end of the exchange, he gave me that smile.

"I'll see you later Shane." He sped off, leaving me warmed by his smile.

I still had the frappechino.