Chapter one

Amara Carlson

Amara Carlson was no ordinary child, her life always seemed so perfect. She always seemed so perfect. Whenever someone would ask how she's been, she would always reply that "All is well." But all was not well. Although She would walk to school with a smile on her face, walk home without any fear, and walk through the halls of her house without hesitation. It was only because she believed that her father still loved her, she believed that her mother was still looking after her, and she believed that everything would come out okay.

"AMARA!!!" The harsh tone that her father would always use seemed ten times worse that day, and still, Amara refused to stop believing that one day he would call her down with a tenderness in his voice, and hug her close to him, and whisper in her ear that he loves her. But that was not the case today. She came downstairs to find her father with an empty bottle and some cash in his hand.
"I need you to go to the bar and buy me another bottle. You know what I like." He told his young child, Amara nodded, walked up to him looking up into his dark cold blue eyes. Her father was a rather handsome man, with dark blue eyes that seemed to sway and wave like a small ocean, any woman would get lost in them. He had tan skin that was rough from all the work he did to provide for his wife and child during his better days. And black hair that, at the moment, was sticking to his sweaty brow.

Amara loved her father, and made sure that he knew it. Her father loved Amara too, but it was hard for him to look or be around his daughter as she reminded him of his deceased wife. Amara had her mothers sandy hair, olive skin and kind innocent face. But the one thing that caused her father much of his pain, were her eyes, she had her mothers eyes. They were such a dark brown that they could almost be called black, and when you looked deep enough into them, they seemed to sparkle like the night sky. Through it was what was behind her eyes that left him crying himself to sleep every night, the wonder. His daughter shared the same wonder as her mother.

Every time he looked at his baby girl, he wanted to hug her so tight, but at the same time beat himself till he drew his last breath.

Amara grabbed her pink sweater and but it on over her worn white shirt, and ripped skinny blue jeans. She had the same pink bow in her hair that she wore everyday in memory of her beloved mother, once she reached the door frame, she put on her black and white Nike Airs, she looked at her fathers despairing face and whispered the same thing into the house she did every time she left the house to run errands, "I love you Daddy."

She swore she saw her fathers face soften, and tears running down his cheeks, he turned away and walked further into the house. She sighed and walked out into the cold night air.

Amara walked into the bar and walked up to the bartender, Mr. Rendes. Mr. Rendes was a kind old man, around 50 years in age, with kind and warm brown eyes, a smile that reached his eyes, and a love for all people, even those that are hard to love. He smiled at the young girl, and knew exactly why she was here.
"Ah," he exclaimed, laughing a bit at the young girl who could barely see over the tall counter, "The usual Miss Carlson?"
"Yes Please Mr. Rendes!" She exclaimed as he handed her a warm mug of hot chocolate. As she was drinking her warm beverage, a large man came up and asked for something strong, he then turned to Amara with an amused expression on his face, wondering what a little wild flower could be doing in a place like this.

"Excuse me little lady," the man said catching the young girl's attention, "but what might a youngster like yourself be doing in a place like this?"

"Why, I'm always in a place like this! That is, if you know what I mean sir."

The man chuckled, "I'm afraid I don't, would you mind explaining?"

"Not at all, but," she paused putting her finger up to her chin to show that she was thinking, "I'm not allowed to talk to strangers."

"Well then I'm Rob, Rob Stewards," he said holding his hand out to shake, "There! Now what might your name be?"

"Amara, Amara Carlson!" She said taking his hand and shaking it, "Pleasure to be making your acquaintance!"

"Now would you mind answering my question?"

"Why, not at all!" The girl exclaimed, beaming at her new friend, "I come here often, to buy liquor for my Father."

At this the man was surprised, "Now why would your Pops send you out on your own, surely your Mother wouldn't allow that!"

At this comment the girls face saddened the slightest bit, "Mom left when I was little," she whispered, looking at her hands which were folded in her lap, "All I can remember of her is a small poem, one she would read me every night."

Rob was quite intrigued be this information, "Would you mind me asking what this poem may be?"

Amara looked up at him and signaled for him to come closer so that she could whisper in his ear, he nodded and leaned down to her height, "It's a secret, between my Mom and me!"

The man raised an eyebrow.