27.

19th November, 1955

"Macca, don't forget the chalk!" John called to the other boy, who was about to look through John's bedside table, hoping to find the white chalk John was on about. He was stood in the hallway, waiting for Paul. "Hurry up, Paul! We have to be home in time for Mimi's celebration party."

"Right, just give me a minute!" Paul called back.

He pulled the draw open, immediately finding the chalk that John was on about. Next to it, was the box his mother gave him almost three weeks prior, and the boy placed it next to the photo slides in his pocket.

John had both planned for the both of them to go to Strawberry Fields that afternoon, and both of the boys were excited. Sure, it was freezing out, but they didn't care. Strawberry Fields was a special place to the both of them, and so no matter the weather they were going.

The boy took another look around the room, smiling fondly at it. He remembered the first day he spent here, waking up and thinking it was his own room, before looking around and realising he was anywhere but home. The first time he had used the record player, and felt terrified he might break it...

And of course, when John and Paul kissed for the first time, on John's bed.

"Come on, Macca." John took a hold of Paul's hand, leading him down the stairs.

"Wait!" Paul called, just as John was about to open the door.

"What?" John turned, eyeing him in confusion.

Paul stood still for a second, before looking round. He wasn't sure why he'd said that, and looked around to make an excuse. As soon as he saw Mimi's coat on the hanger and nurses hat, he felt a sudden urge to talk to her.

"Can I just tell Mimi where we're going? Just so she knows where we are?"

"Sure, just be quick. We only have two hours till the party starts." We shouldn't have spent so long cuddling in bed, Macca. I told you we should have got up earlier so we'd have more time." He said, folding his arms.

"But you love cuddling me..."

"I do..." John kissed him once more, and Paul just laughed, before turning around to head into the kitchen where he heard Mimi shuffling around.

He opened the door, slowly, gently closing it behind him. The boy just stood in that place for a few seconds, watching Mimi make some sandwiches, probably for the party.

Out of nowhere, he ran up to her, embracing her in a hug. She jumped slightly at the sudden feeling, immediately dropping the butter knife in shock.

"Who the- Paul?" She spoke, looking over her shoulder to the boy who had his head buried in her shoulder. "Paul, what's wrong?"

He slowly looked up to her.

"T-Thanks." He stuttered out, really meaning it.

"What for?" She just chuckled.

"Everythin'... I- I really appreciate it, y'know." He smiled. "You have been like a- a mother to me... I suppose. You've been ever so kind."

"Thanks Paul." Mimi said, sort of in shock at what he'd just said. "And thanks to you too... Not only are you a good kid, but you're the reason John didn't give up, you know? You really made him see somethin' in himself, and I know that you lot are gonna go places. I can just... I can just feel it." She smiled.

"Anytime... I saw it in John too." Paul loosened his grip on the woman, smiling at her once more. "But... Yeah." He raised a hand to run through his hair. "Thanks for the food and party too."