Unlucky

Love was something odd and strange for Kenma Kozume. He'd never fallen in love before. He never intended to, either. But when you had defended him, his heart had rumbled in his heart. How could he not fall for someone as kind-hearted as you?

Usually, Kenma didn't really care for other people. All he cared for was playing video games, or on occasion, playing volleyball. Though, volleyball wasn't too interesting to him. He'd rather play video games all day.

But you? That was something different. You had defended him. Now, he usually didn't care what people said about him. He was usually quiet, with the exception of talking to some of his fellow volleyball members. Who cares what other people said about him? All he had to do was finish high-school and move on to college, get a good job, and graduate from then on.

"Leave him alone. What has Kozume-san done to you ever? He's quiet and doesn't even bother anyone. Why spread rumors about someone like that?" Was what you had told the girls and boys whispering about him. Sure, Kenma usually looked to either not be hearing them, but rather, he was just ignoring them. He always heard what they said though.

His heart had stopped for a second when you stood up for him. Nobody had ever had that affect on him before. I mean, usually the volleyball team would stand up for their setter too, they cared for him. But with Kenma being a second year, he didn't share too many classes with any of them including the other second years.

This resulted in him being alone most of the time. Though, he liked it that way. He liked to be alone. He could play his video games in peace that way.

"Kozume-san? Are you okay?" You asked in a concerned tone as you stood in front of his desk. He furrowed his brows before looking up at you from his psp, and his face immediately flushed a deep shade of red. He felt embarrassed. To be defended by someone as pretty as you.

"Ugh, she's so annoying. Why is she even defending that creep, anyway?" A girl whispered from across the room. Of course the whisper was louder, as she did it with the full intention of you hearing her. You frowned, but immediately replaced it with a smile. He nodded shyly, and you clasped your hands together.

"I'm (y/n) (l/n)! Want to be friends, Kozume-san?" You asked with a cute tilt of your head. His eyes widened for a moment, before he nodded his head once more.

"Sure," he replied.

"Great! Then, can I call you Kenma-kun?" you asked, pulling a chair out from the desk in front of him. "You see, I don't have many friends. The people in this class are really odd, huh? They spread a ton of rumors about anyone who they don't agree with. I don't like people like that," you frowned. "But Kenma-kun, you're different! You're quiet, composed, you're so cool! I wanna be friends with you. So, can I call you Kenma-kun, then?!"

He coughed into his hand with a light blush dusting his cheeks. "I-I mean.. you're already doing it, so.." He everted his eyes from your own (e/c) eyes, and you grinned. "Good. Kenma-kun, I think we'll get along great."

You spent a lot of time with him. You defended him whenever the time came, and you came to care for him deeply. You truthfully believed he was a good friend.

Kenma saw things differently. He cared for you too, he of course believed you were a good friend as well, but there was more to it. Kenma had fallen in love with you. It'd happened in such a short amount of time. Just four months. Kenma wasn't usually one to act on such feelings, but with you, he really did want to give it a shot.

He wasn't very confident, and he was scared of ruining the friendship the two of you had, but with your personality, he hoped you'd simply brush it off and things would continue on. He just wanted to try it. Just once.