5. WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SET

The wind whistled with hostility. My unruly hair swayed in front of my face, blocking my view of what lay ahead. This was a common occurrence in nature, but for someone who should not venture into this place, it reminded me that even the trees and the wind antagonized my presence here. I sighed, tucked the loose strands behind my ears, and continued my journey. My desire to escape our household and my impending doom overshadowed the lack of warmth and hospitality in this forbidden forest.

Twigs and dried leaves snapped beneath my hurried feet. Tall trees, perhaps older than our civilization, danced in the melancholic rhythm of the atmosphere. Birds flew above; their movements dispersed the eerie silence. The people of Erideth associated the old gods with nature. The reason why the Damned never came here excluding me. Markings and symbols of untraceable origins marred the gigantic trunks. I once witnessed how it glowed during the night and I was awed. They viewed these as abominations, but for me, these brought me fascination.

Every time my gaze wandered here, a peculiar sensation enveloped me, as if my salvation lurked beyond these towering wonders of the land. My mother told me once that this forest, abhorred by the Damned, was the safest place for my heart who longed for solitude. I believed her words. 

“The forest is forbidden, for it hides the greatest secret of Erideth, something they want to bury at all costs. It is forgotten today because this generation followed what they are told. Do not be like them, daughter,” she told me those riddles which Father heard.

After that day, he deprived my mother of the freedom she deserved, imprisoning her in his cruel domain until she lost her sanity. But even though I felt my mother slipping away from my grasp, like water, who would not stay put, her words forever engraved in my mind. 

As years went on, the forest fueled my desire for an answer. Its mystery did not scare me, and for that reason, I knew I was indeed a glitch in this system. My endeavor wasn’t futile, though.

As the trees thinned, I walked faster. The forest might not be welcoming, but my destination, close to it, screamed comfort. The familiar sweet fragrance and lingering smell of damp moss heightened my excitement. My posture eased and a genuine smile appeared on my face. ‘In this place, I don’t need to pretend. Here, I can be me.’

Not far from me, a wide, arch pillar stood. Its height could rival the length of those towering trees I passed by. Vines and leaves slithered like snakes around its form, stealing my chance of touching the surface of this object. The same symbols I saw in the trunks were sculpted near the keystone and other visible parts above.

I broke into a run when I caught a glimpse of the colorful garden behind the pillar. When I entered, all my worries and tension evaporated. It was not the flowers that captivated me, even though its petals contained a more vibrant hue. Some even glowed. But it was the peculiarity of the surrounding. The sun never set in this place, and no one, even the books in my father’s library, could explain this phenomenon. The jurisdiction of this strangeness did not include the forbidden forest. It felt like the moment I passed the pillar; I was transported to a different realm. 

Although darkness could not descend here, I could still see nocturnal animals living in harmony. Here also, I first met the shadows whose influence was stronger in this domain.

I looked around. My gaze landed on another mystery I wished to solve. At the end of the garden, a river flowed, soundless. Ironic, it might seem, but it was hard to notice the river, for it did not have any roaring noise despite the strong current. Where it began and ended, I did not know. On the other side of the river, my biggest question loomed. A large double door, its shape resembling an open book, hid beneath the heavy mist. If not for the aid of the shadows, I would not see it. However, the shadows wouldn’t allow me to see the inside of the door, and that was suspicious. I dreamt of going to the other side, but I did not have the courage to cross the river. Silent but deadly. That was how I perceived the water. ‘Damn, coward!’