The Reptile Room Part 1

Lemony Snicket's POV

"Woe is me. Woe is me."

The cry you're hearing is that of the broken-hearted crocodile. It is a rare species of reptile found in swampy regions that are particularly sad. My name is Lemony Snicket, and it is my sworn duty to carefully research the dire plight of the Baudelaire orphans and Y/N Snicket. 

But there is no reason for you to make yourself as miserable and melancholy as I am. If I were you, I would look away before reading any of the horrible and horrifying events that comprise this ghastly new chapter...in the Baudelaires' and Y/N's unfortunate lives. 

Y/N's POV

I sat there thinking about what father whispered to me at the play. Will he really come back for me? Of course he will. Right? I never been this far away from him for this long it's weird and I don't like it. Even though he's "bad" He's still my father. I hope he is not lying and comes as soon as possible. 

"It's a brand-new episode in your lives, Baudelaires." Mr. Poe said obviously addressing the Baudelaires. 

" In a few minutes you'll be meeting your new guardian, Mr. Montgomery. He's your closest living relative and apparently should've been your guardian all along, according to your deceased parents' will. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to listen to that oddly-dressed  very young consultant who walked into my office with no references and no identification, and who suggested that I place you in Count Olaf's care. " Mr. Poe explained as he drove.

" My siblings and I wholeheartedly agree. " Violet said.

"You're a disgrace to your profession." Sunny babbled.

"My recently-rehired secretary Jacquelyn is nervous that Count Olaf is still at large, but I don't think Olaf will be able to find you way out here. Oh, look, there's an easy-to-read sign for Lousy Lane." Mr. Poe pointed out.

I felt terrible since I was the very young consultant who persuaded Mr. Poe into putting the Baudelaires in Count Olaf's care. I just wanted to make my dad proud of me and that was my only chance. I wonder why he didn't throw me out to the streets yet since I messed up to many times to count.

Lemony Snicket's POV

The Baudelaire orphans more than wholeheartedly agreed. And living with Count Olaf had been more than a mistake. It had been a disaster. It had been a catastrophe. And the worst of it was that the villainous Count Olaf was still at large, a phrase which hear means that the authorities had not caught him and would not catch him for a very long time. Y/N however felt the opposite, she was relieved that her father had not been caught yet but still anxious of what to come. 

Y/N's POV

"By the way, the police tell me they feel very confident that Count Olaf will be caught in no time at all." Mr. Poe said.

" Wait. So they didn't catch him yet?" I asked eagerly. Hoping my father was safe and not rotting in prison.

" Yes they didn't but there working on it. Ah, here's the turn." Mr. Poe answered as he turned down a road called Lousy Lane.

"Uh, what...what is that smell?" Klaus asked, coughing from the horrible and distasteful smell.

" It's ginger, I believe. We're here." Mr. Poe coughed.

" How exactly is Dr. Montgomery related to us?" Klaus said a bit suspicious.

" Dr. Montgomery is, let me see, your late father's cousin's wife's brother. That probably explains why you never met him." Mr. Poe explained to Klaus.