08: ALONE

"(Y/N)? Are you here?"

The moment Porco went back inside the auditorium without you, Reiner went on high alert mode and smacked Bertholdt, who was dozing off beside him, awake. He shot up from his seat and raced after the blond boy, tugged at his short coat, and asked where you went, but was unfortunately met with no helpful answer.

"I don't know where. She just ran off," Porco had informed.

It was at that moment Reiner knew that Porco might have a death wish. It was a golden rule that if anyone ever messed with you, then he would come and kick ass. Unfortunately, he didn't know what happened between you and Porco, and since the blond was unresponsive and rather acting immaturely, he had no permission to beat his ass at all.

In the middle of his intense stare-down at the back of Porco's head, Bertholdt pulled Reiner out of the auditorium and began a search in every place on campus of which you could hide in. They ended up in the women's bathroom in the building beside the theatre, and when they heard a few sniffles coming from the second stall, they knew it was you.

And now, they're trying their best to comfort you and get you out of there simultaneously.

"Please answer us, (Y/N). Are you here?"

"Leave me alone."

"We're not going to leave you alone. We're worried about you."

"It's okay, Reiner," you sniff, "you don't have to worry about me."

"Even if you tell us off, we still can't leave you on your own," Bertholdt forces. "If you're scared about looking like a mess, then we promise not to laugh."

"I look like Shrek."

"That doesn't matter at all right now. You're crying and we can't sit around doing nothing!"

You shake your head. Instead of replying, you stay silent. Reiner and Bertholdt would eventually get tired of standing and waiting, or if worse comes to worse, a janitor might come in and catch them in the act. You hope that they won't have to get detention for coming to get you.

"This is the women's bathroom! Someone might catch you guys here!" You hiss. "Don't risk getting detention because of me. I need some time to think."

A moment of silence passes and you hear Reiner sigh.

"Okay. We'll leave you alone," he says, "but you better stay safe, okay? Call us when you need anything and we'll be right here for you."

A pout forms on your lips and more tears well in your eyes. Reiner is your best friend because your parents and his were college acquaintances. Bertholdt and Zeke tagged along when you met in high school, and to your luck, fate aligned your route with the three and you all got to enter the same university. Zeke is a year older and a grade level higher with a modeling career, so seeing him on campus is rare. However, this year marks the end of your and his BA and BFA courses, so you would be able to spend more time with him and your two other friends.

But they mean more than friends to you. They comfort you when you're down, defend you from anything that poses as a threat, and can be the nicest and the sweetest set of people you've met on special occasions. They act like your brothers and you appreciate all three of them individually.

"Don't stay here for too long, okay, (Y/N)?" Bertholdt says.

You nod as if they can see you. "Okay."

As they bid goodbye, you sink into the covered toilet seat and bury your face into your hands once more. Outside the stall, the pair prepares to leave until two familiar faces come barreling in the restroom with worry.

"(Y/N)!"

Still seated on the toilet seat, you raise your head and tilt your head to the direction of the voice, confused. Reiner's jaw drops, then curves into a grin as he watches Colt and Marcel enter the bathroom, the brunette shoving past the two friends and standing in front of your stall with guilt.

"What did Porco do to you?! I'm going to kick his butt!" He fumes. You wipe your tears, shocked and wide-eyed at his appearance, and make yourself presentable before unlocking the stall and opening the door wide.

Reiner scurries to see you, followed by Bertholdt and Colt. Altogether, they watch you exit shyly, with a face still stained with tears and eyes red and puffy from sobbing. Bertholdt assists you to the wash area and patiently stands beside you as you take the time to wash your face.

Afterwards, you speak, "Porco is a jerk. No offense, Marcel. I'm sorry."

Marcel shakes his head. "There's no need to be sorry. I get what you mean." He walks over and lightly pats your back. "Porco didn't tell me what exactly happened, but he told me that you have decided on the role."

You roll your eyes and groan. "That's a lie! We didn't mutually decide on anything, that decision was forced!"

"What happened?" Colt asks.

"He didn't want to talk to me out loud so I messaged him on Twitter. I thought he was having a bad day, so I didn't force anything on him, but things ended up with him forcing things on me!" You grimace. "We apologized for what happened yesterday, but he insulted me again when I was only giving him reasons as to why I should get the lead."

"I'm really sorry, (Y/N)," Marcel apologizes and shakes his head in disappointment. "What did he say?"

Your cheeks get hot from embarrassment.

"He said that even though I love to act doesn't mean I'm good at it."

You don't believe in comments like those because you have faith and confidence in yourself. Even if you aren't as impressive as the other students in your field, you still applaud yourself for getting somewhere. There is always room for improvement; you aren't the best out there, but that just challenges you to strive to be the best. Porco's words don't affect you in that matter, but it hurts that someone would ever think of bringing another person down just to feed another's pride and ego.

"I will talk to him," Marcel promises. "You can take the rest of the day off. I'm sure Professor Magath will understand once I explain."

"Please don't report your brother!" You plea. "Talking to him will be enough."

"But what about the role? It's not fair to you."

"He can have it," you painfully say. "I don't want it anymore. It's better if we just give it to him."

Marcel hates that his brother will (yet again) get away for something wrong that he did, but you beg to not drag the issue any further, and seeing as you wouldn't budge and let him do the opposite, he gives into you and drops the offer of settling things with Porco.

Instead, he lets you rest and freshen up and gives you permission to return to the auditorium whenever you want to. You thank him, and without another word, rush to your locker to get your hygiene kit and fix yourself up.