15: Torn

And now the wind

Blows against my stride

And I'm losing ground to

Enemies on all sides

Am I the prey

That was hunter once

Could it be my last day

Could they strike me down?

Can I say

You were wrong

I was right

Had to slay

Every stray

Thug in my sight

---------------------

(Akechi's P.O.V, the next day)

I was still in the sweatpants and the baggy long sleeve shirt I had slept in, even at 3pm.

I had fulfilled all my duties to the media for the next few days, so I had some much needed free time until I headed to Sae's palace in the evening.

I sat on the balcony of my apartment, the wind blowing my long hair in the wind. I so badly wanted to nap more, but being in my room only proved that Shido, despite not being here, could still torment me in my thoughts.

Bzzt. Bzztt.

I glanced over at my phone and picked it up. It was the Phantom Thieves chat.

Ren: We need to meet at LeBlanc. Today after school.

I wasn't surprised. I knew this was coming. As expected, Ren didn't take the news of Sae's progression in the investigation well when I told him at the batting cages last night.

I inwardly smirked seeing his message. Ruffle some feathers. That was my mission, and clearly I'd fulfilled it.

Ryuji: what's going on?

Makoto: are you alright Ren? I haven't seen you at school today

Ann: You better not be skipping!

I read over the messages and became intrigued. Ren Amamiya, playing hooky? That was quite out of character, even for him.

Ren: I woke up with a fever. I'm at home resting.

A pang of realization hit me in the chest.

"Hah, no way."

I switched chat windows and began typing to Ren privately.

Akechi: You're sick?

Ren: The doctor said it should go away by tomorrow. The medication she gave me is pretty strong, I've been sleeping alot.

I began assessing whether the group of us meeting at LeBlanc to talk about the big next step was worth it to do today. If I had given Ren my cold, I was well aware at how difficult it was to even function normally with it. It wasn't fun.

But, despite that, today was one of the many deadlines in my personal agenda. I couldn't hesitate a single moment, not with Shido breathing down my neck.

Akechi: Make sure you eat.

Ren: I live in a cafe. That won't be hard.

I switched chat windows and jumped back into the Phantom Thieves chat.