Chapter 20: Prom

True love is worth waiting for. Even if it takes a lifetime. Then in return, a lifetime of love will be waiting for you. Waiting is a sign of true love and patience. Anyone can say "I love you". But not everyone can wait and prove it's true. And, the longer you wait for something, the more you learn to appreciate it when you get it..

March -

It was the last Saturday of March and it was prom day today.

"Okay are you sure you won't go?" Mer asked. I looked at her. "Come on, please come." Mer begged.

"I don't know Mer." I said as I stood infront of her and did her makeup. There was a knock on the door.
"Come in!" I yelled. My mom walked into the room. "I finished Mers makeup." I said.

"What about you?" My mom said.

"I'll stay home. I'm tired." I said. My mom shook her head.

"Come on bambina. I told you. Go out and have fun." My mom said I looked at her.

"Fine." I said as I sat down and started doing my makeup.

-
I looked in my closet for a dress, when my mom walked in with a red dress. "I got this for you." She said. I looked at it and felt myself almost dying.

"Momma! You didn't have too" I said as I looked at it.

"Ah, thank you momma" I said as I hugged her.

"You're welcome. Now go get dressed, Soda is coming soon to pick up Mer." She said. I nodded and got dressed.

There was a honking outside. I looked outside the window of the bathroom and Steve stood there. He was wearing a suit leaning against the car. "Steve!" I heard soda call him. Steve jogged inside. I turned around and got the dress on. I let go of my hair and fixed it. It was in its straight form. I wore some earrings and put my heels on. Walking out. I stood infront of the staircase. Meredith was at the bottom and looked at me. Smiling. I smiled too and walked down the stairs. Steve and soda were talking to my parents.

I walked into the living room and my mom was holding her camera. "Oh bambina look at you!" She said. I smiled and hugged her. From the corner of my eye, I saw Steve staring at me. I turned to my dad.

"Look at you, all grown up." He said pecking my forehead.

"Okay get together for pictures"  my mom said. Meredith and I stood next to eachother and posed. Then, Soda and Meredith took one together.

"Come on Elena, get with Steve for the picture," my mom said. I looked at Steve and he smiled. I smiled too and we stood together for the pictures. We all got out and inside the car. Steve driving to the school.

-

It was towards the end of the dance when I noticed Steve and Soda talking to a girl. I sighed. There was a slow song playing. Soda came over and asked Meredith to dance. I smiled. And looked at them. I recognized the song. It was "Take My Breath Away." By Berlin. One of my favorites. I took a drink of my glass. This is why I didn't want to come. I knew I was just gonna be sitting around. I took another drink, when I saw a shadow approach me. I looked up and it was Steve.

"May I have this dance?"  He asked. Showing me his hand. I smiled.

"I'd love to." I said taking his hand. He dragged me to the middle of the floor and placed his hand on my hip. I placed my hand around his neck while my other hand wrapped around his shoulders, and then layed my head on his chest. We both swayed side to side. To the rhythm of the music. His head dropped down, leaning on mine, and I found myself nuzzling my head into the crook of his neck.

"Through the hourglass I saw you. In time you slipped away. When the mirror crashed I called you. And turned to hear you say. If only for today. I am unafraid"

We danced. I found him holding on to me tight. Afraid to let go of me. I smiled. This dream was coming true. It's like after all the pain I've been through with love. All the waiting. It was finally worth it. Because I've found someone that is not only caring. But he's sweet, romantic, and he knows how to make me smile. If only he felt the same way...

We often spend our time writing our dreams in a diary when we were kids. As adults, those dreams quietly come true every single day. Only sometimes we forget to notice, until it's too late. So slow down. And take it in. Because sometimes. Even the most beautiful dreams, disappear when the sun comes up...