ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏꜱᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪɴꜱᴘɪʀᴇᴅ ɪᴛ ᴀʟʟ

Was found on the Tumblr post of mormoc's fanart that is the cover. This is an analysis of this fanart, written by the blog marshmallow-fireside-Keith.

Will is depicted as a Sunshine baby, but I think we forget the trauma he sees, endures, and cures as a healer.

I appreciate the blues of the picture, especially in his eyes, because it reads like a boy who is so pained, but so put together, that he comes off as ice-like.

Maybe outside the infirmary, Will is cheerful and happy.

But inside?

He's had people die beneath his hands at such a young age. He's had to watch people go, and wonder for life if there was anything more he could do.

This Will is sterile. Like the environment, he has to be. He can't infect people with his emotions or bring himself into the room.

He has to be a healer first, a human being second. And the blue, that light, faded blue, that ice, is him. When the sun is strip away from him, there's a hollowness.

A gray.

There is great persona sacrifice in becoming a doctor. And Will feels that weight. He feels it well before anyone should. Not even old enough for high school, and hes cabin counselor and head healer.

I love this side of Will because its so raw and so real.

I've shied away from his character, because I'm so done with sunshine. But I forgot that, actually, so is he.

He's tired, he's just worked thirty hours on a touch-and-go patient from the Hecate cabin.

He's empty, because a camper committed suicide last week and he couldn't take the pills from the body before they absorbed.

He's sick of smiling all the time.

And is he always so sad? No. Not really. But sometimes, in the quiet hours of 3 in the morning, when he's had three cups of coffee in as many hours, he just wants to--

To... to...something. Cry? Maybe? He doesn't know. He pushed back himself for so long that he's lost behind his bedside manner. He's cold.

Maybe.

That must be it.

It's so quiet in the infirmary. And bright. And white. And it's chilly, because disease thrives in heat.

So he gets one more cup of coffee. And hes still empty. But he sees his patient, laying on a cot, sleeping peaceful despite all the bandages. And he guesses it's ok.

Some sacrifices are worth making.