37: ...it takes Good with it

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

ALEC

Sebastian gasped, and spasmed in Rebecca's arms; he staggered back, the hilt of the blade protruding from his chest. His eyes were wide with shock and betrayal. "Rebecca..." Her name was a broken whisper.

Alec vaguely realized that Rebecca was standing with her hands clenched into fists at her sides, tears silently streaming down her face. Sebastian was on his knees now. He reached for the blade, then gasped and broke off. His hands had closed around the hilt, just above the wound in his chest. There was no blood, but there was a flash of red, a spark - fire. The wound was beginning to burn. "What – is - this?" he demanded through clenched teeth.

"Heavenly fire," Rebecca said, her voice tight. "Heosphoros wasn't just forged from heavenly fire, Sebastian. It-it is heavenly fire."

With a scream, he pulled the sword free. He gave the hilt, with its hammered pattern of stars, one incredulous look before he blazed up like a seraph blade.

Alec started towards the dais again. This time, the Endarkened made no move to stop him. Rebecca had been staring at Sebastian, who was entirely consumed by fire, but as Alec neared the dais, she cried out and staggered down the steps. She collapsed to the ground, gasping.

"Rebecca!" Alec cried as his sister began to thrash around wildly, screaming in what seemed like pure agony. Her voice mingled with Sebastian's.

"Alec, get away from me!" she yelled, her voice raw. "I don't-" She stopped and pulled away from Alec, turning so she was on all fours. She began to retch, and black blood poured from her mouth, staining the floor. Alec could do nothing but stand by and watch helplessly.

Finally, she gave a deep, shuddering breath, and managed to sit up. Her eyes found Alec's, and then they rolled up and she collapsed sideways onto the ground. Alec pulled her into his arms again. She was utterly lifeless, no pulse or heartbeat to be seen.

A wild panic seized Alec. He had lost so much already; he would not lose his little sister too. He dimly became aware that Sebastian had stopped screaming too. The fire had died down.

"Rebecca..." The voice was weak, barely more than a whisper. But it was enough. At the sound of her name, Rebecca took a great gasping breath and shot up. She took no notice of Alec; immediately getting to her feet, she ran up the steps to where Sebastian lay. Alec followed her, coming to a stop a few feet away.

There was a great blackened hole across the front of Sebastian's chest. His face was taut and white with pain. Rebecca was on her knees beside him. As Alec watched, she gently lifted his head and placed it on her lap. "Jonathan," she whispered, tightly grasping his hand. She was looking at him with an expression so full of pain and longing that Alec had to look away.

Clary, meanwhile, had approached the dais. She knelt slowly next to her brother.

"You put... the heavenly fire... into the blade of the sword," he said to his sister. "It was... cleverly done."

"It was a rune, that's all," Clary said softly. Her eyes searched Sebastian's face. "Sebastian..."

"No. I'm not him. I'm-Jonathan," he whispered. "I'm Jonathan."

"Go to Sebastian!" It was Amatis, rising, with all the Endarkened behind her. There was grief on her face, and rage. "Kill them all!"

Jonathan struggled to sit upright. "No..." he said hoarsely. But Rebecca whipped around to face the Endarkened, her face so full of rage that Alec actually took a step back. And it was enough to stop the Endarkened in their tracks.