39

~ Lucy's P.O.V. ~

There was a brief pause as everyone stared at Phantom. Then, as if there was some silent signal, everyone in Fairy Tail cheered. My gaze swept over the cheering crowd. People were hugging each other with smiles on their faces even though they were beat up and bloody. I smiled and hugged Natsu. He stiffened, but didn't pull away. I giggled a little. Did he not realize that he's still holding me? I sighed happily and leaned my head on his chest. He stiffened even more and dropped his arms from around me. Did I cross a line this time? I don't think I've done this before. I was about to pull away when I felt him place one of his hands on my head. He didn't move it, but it was enough for me to know that I could stay here for a little while. Happy landed on my shoulder and wiggled his way into a position where he could rest comfortably between us. I giggled again and stayed there for a few more minutes.

After a few minutes, everyone became quiet. I turned my head and saw that Master Makarov was now on the shore. I rested the side of my head on Natsu's chest as I watched the master walk through the crowd and stop in front of the destroyed guild hall. "Well, this time," Master paused, "we sure made a mess, hm?"

I bit my lip and pulled away from Natsu, but I still had Happy in my arms. I gave him a little squeeze for my own comfort. Biting my lip, I called out, "Master?"

He looked over his shoulder and smiled at me. "Hmm?" he hummed. "That's some face you have on there."

Tears welled in my eyes. How can I not have this kind of face? I'm the reason for all this.

"Don't look like that, Lu," I heard Levy say. I gasped, and my head whipped around to see Levy, Jet, Droy, and Reedus all smiling at me. "Not after everybody pitched in and won this fight."

Droy turned his head to look at the guild hall. "Sure it left the guild in ruins, but," he trailed off.

"It can always be built up again," Jet said.

"Oui," Reedus agreed.

I started to tremble as I looked at them. Happy flew out of my arms as Levy began to walk toward me. "Sorry we made you worry about us, Lu," Levy said with a sad smile.

"No," I said with a trembling voice. I covered my mouth with my hand. "This is all my fault," I said.

Levy shook her head. "I heard all about it. Not a person here blames any of this on you," she said.

Reedus scratched the back of his head. "I," he hesitates, "couldn't help. I'm sorry." I shook my head and looked at the ground. They shouldn't be apologizing. This is my fault. They shouldn't be apologizing!

"Lucy," Master said, "happiness and sadness." He paused before continuing, "We can't share in them completely, but we can share them to a certain extent." Happy lightly flew into my arms. I hugged him close to me. "That's what a guild is all about. One person's happiness is everybody's happiness. One person's anger becomes everyone's anger. And one person's tears is everyone's tears. There's no reason for you to feel guilt. You should already know how everybody feels." My tears role down my cheeks and onto Happy's head. He snuggles closer to me. "So lift your head up," Master continues. He turns and smiles at me. "You are a member of Fairy Tail after all."

I start to cry even harder and slowly fall to the ground and clutch Happy closer to me. Levy smiles down at me, and bends down to offer her hand to help me up. Before I can reach for her, I feel a someone sit behind me. Levy's eyes widen, but she doesn't move away. Instead, she sits down in front of me. I turn my head to see the Natsu is sitting down behind me with his back to me. Is he trying to comfort me? I turn my body enough to lay the side of my head on his back.