Chapter 19: Dinner

-
I walked into the DX with Meredith walking by my side. Soda was working counter. Meredith sat on a stool behind the counter with soda. I dropped my bag by the door connecting the store to the garage and slowly creeped behind Steve. Making sure my heels made no noise on the floor. I placed my hands infront of him, covering his eyes.

"Well, who is this? Is this Linda? No this can't be her. Is this Samantha? No, her hands don't feel like this. Is this Marie? No it's not possible. Hm. I've smelled this rose petal perfume before. Is this Elena?" He said jokingly.

He turned around and I smiled. "Ah, see. I knew it was you. Your perfume can stand out in a crowd." He said.

"I'm here reporting for duty." I smiled as I walked next to him.

Steve and I found an old beaten up motorcycle on the side of the road. I convinced him to pick it up so we could both fix it. We were halfway done. We had a couple more things to do.

"So are you going to prom?" He asked.

Prom was in a couple weeks and well, I didn't have plans on going.

"I don't know. I might not go. I said as I observed Steve working.

"I'm sure Meredith would like you there." He said.

I looked at him and sat on the stool. Crossing my legs. "I'm sure she would like me there. But let's be honest. She probably wants to spend the night with soda. She's inviting him as her plus one. And well, I'll probably be by myself most of the night anyway. So might as well just stay at home." I chuckled. He looked at me.

"But what about you? Are you going?" I asked changing the spotlight from me to him. He sighed.

"I might go. Soda  says he has a friend he'd like me to meet there. Might as well take the opportunity and meet her." He shrugged. My smile slightly faded away but it came back as soon as he turned to me.

"Well that's. That's great. I hope you guys have fun there." I said as I handed Steve a tool.

"Yeah, hopefully you change your mind and decide to come." Steve said.

Before I said anything Meredith walked in. "We should head home, your parents are coming home early today and I'm sure they want you home by the time they arrive." She said. I nodded.

"You're welcome to come for dinner if you want." I said as I wiped my hands.

"I don't think your parents will like me there." He said.

"Oh come on. I already told you, my parents won't mind." I said.

"They're the sweetest people. Trust me." Meredith said.

He looked at me.

"I'll think about it." He said.

"Okay, I hope to see you there." I smiled sweetly and walked away. Meredith got in the car.

"So... soda wants to meet my parents but I told him that my mom practically disowned me, is it okay if I introduce him to your parents? I mean, I feel like a part of your family..." Meredith said.

I looked at her. "Oh Mer, you know you don't need permission to do so, my parents love you so much and they understand about your mother, I'm sure they want to help you. And I'm sure they'd want to know who you're dating." I smiled.

She looked at me too. "Thank you El. For everything you do." She said.

-
We all sat around the table. Leo staring at me as we sat across the table. "Are you going to prom?" He asked.

I shook my head no as I took a bite from my food.

"What, why not bambina?" My mom asked.

"You guys know I'm not the party type. And I don't have anyone to go with." I said.

My mom looked at me. "Oh sweetie, prom is a fun time. Go and enjoy yourself. You only get the chance to go twice in your life. So go have fun. In case you can't go next year." She said.

"I'll think about it." I said looking at her. There was a knock on the door. I went over and opened the door. Steve and soda stood there. Steve was wearing a white shirt with a leather black jacket and jeans. While soda dressed in a white shirt with a flannel and jeans. "Come in" I said as I opened the door wider for them. They walked in and I closed the door behind them.

I stood next to them. "Momma, daddy. This is Steve. A very good friend of mine.  He's the guy I've worked with for the school year.."

"Nice to meet you Mister and Missus D'Angelo." Steve said, extending his hand out for my parents to shake.

Meredith stood up. "And this is Sodapop. My boyfriend." She said.

"Nice to meet you." Soda said, also shaking my parents hands. My dad and mom looked at eachother.

"Well, take a seat," my mom sweetly smiled.

"How long have you two been dating?" My mom asked.

"For two, almost theee months." Meredith said. I handed Steve and soda some plates so they too can eat.

"So Sodapop, Tell us about yourself." My dad said.

"Well, I uh... I work with Steve at the DX a couple of blocks down the street. I have two brothers. A younger one and an older one." He said.

"Oh wow. Well, we love Meredith like she was our own daughter, so, we hope we can soon meet your parents." My mom smiled. Sodas smile faded and Meredith looked at me.

"Momma, I don't think that's possible." I said as I looked away from soda and to her.

"My parents died a year ago." Sodapop said.

"Oh goodness, I'm sorry I didn't know." My mom said.

"It's fine there's nothing to worry about.." soda smiled.

I decided to change the topic.

"Leo, Steve wants to learn baseball and I was wondering if you could help him out?" I asked.

He looked at me. "Sure. Just be here at four tomorrow." Leo told Steve.

"Well, I hope we can meet your siblings soon." My mom said.

"I'm sure they'd love to meet you as well." Sodapop said. My parents smiled at eachother and nodded. Sign that they aproved of soda.

-