Chapter # 3

"It's 'your' marriage, Rebecca. " He said derisively.

I narrowed my eyes in perplexity, registering his words for a few seconds and asked, "What are you talking about?" He took a step back and turned.

"You see Rebecca, Now that you have become nothing but a disdain, I no longer need you." He said.

"I knew that long ago. Come to the point." I scoffed.

"They will come to ask for Marianne's hand in marriage but the one who will marry their son would be you or else I doubt anyone would want to marry a burden like you." My eyes widened in disbelief when I heard those ridiculous words.

'What a way to throw me out.'

"So now you have decided to be degenerated?" I scoffed. Honestly, I don't give a damn about myself, I don't care.

"Don't fall that low." Marianne spoke faintly.

"And who the fuck asks for hand in marriage by using his parents in twentieth century?" I argued, frowning deeply. Pissed at the guy who cannot handle his marriage himself.

"Everyone has their own tradition, it's theirs. They are a people of culture." He defended him but I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah right. And you will smear it under your feet by changing the bride. Wow, I can only imagine the worthwhile drama." I chuckled dryly, putting my hand on my waist.

Why is it not hurting me? Why am I not feeling anything? Am I so dead?

"Ah, I feel sorry for the man." I let out a hollow smile, holding my forehead but Father sighed deeply.

"He is the only man who can handle you. Someone as lifeless as you need someone with life." He replied coldly, looking away, facing his back to me.

"Only he can help you." He breathed out but I slammed my hand down.

"I don't need an outsider's side."

"Or what? Therapy is useless, Me and Marianne can't do anything. No one can help you need an experience to end this stubbornness because you made yourself like this!" He yelled, slamming his hand on the table.

My lips parted to argue but he was right. I let this happen to me.

"None of us are going to marry him. I don't need anyone to be my redemption." I scowled, narrowing my eyes in ire.

"Fine then. I'll make Marianne marry him and make her quit her career. She will be deprived of her dreams because of you." He declared, earning a gasp from us.

"Is your age eating your mind as well? How badly is your mind functioning?" I asked in disbelief.

"Please don't... " Marianne whispered while holding on my shoulder. Tears brimmed in her eyes as she was about to fall.

"I will not let anyone destroy the life Marianne spent years to build." I said sternly.

"Then do as I say. You will marry Ryan Knight." Father announced.

"For her, I will do it." I said firmly.

"Don't Rebecca.. Please don't ruin your life for me.. " I turned to Marianne and smiled at her.

"Marianne, my life is already in ruins but you have a long and successful life ahead of you. Please live your life, I don't want you to end up like me." I said, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. Tears rolled down her cheeks as I continued to smile,

"Rebecca, none of us have to do it. We will run away. We will go back to California, I can bear your expenses. We will be together." She said desperately, holding my hands.