❦ Drive Together

I was awake so early, I was too excitingly nervous about afternoon, that I couldn't do differently

I was awake so early, I was too excitingly nervous about afternoon, that I couldn't do differently. I was checking myself in mirror for hours, if I don't have any scar or pimple, I just must be good. I guess I was alright, but what made me worry was that Colonel didn't woke up, although it was almost a noon. I carefully returned back to the bedroom and saw him lying on bed, all hopeless. "Frank? Frank, you all right?" I asked, little panically coming over. "What is it?" he muttered, moving himself the way where I was. "It's after noon" I replied, checking him if he's fine "You've been sleeping all morning."

"So what?" he frowned. "I don't know. I was just worried" I replied "Don't you wanna get up and do something?" He just turned his attention away form me "Lottie, what do you want?" I really wasn't happy from his unexcepted change of behavior. Yesterday he was complete happiness and now he seemed to be in pieces. "I don't know, but you're making me nervous" I replied with my voice little trembling. "My wallet is on the dresser" he suddenly said, pointing at right "Take out your plane ticket and $400 mustering-out pay, plus airport-to-school taxi."

I winked about it, not sure what to think and do about it. He seemed so cold against me, like something happened and it was all my fault. "Colonel, it's no rush. I mean, I can...I could stay for a while" I added, not recognizing the close friend of mine at all. "Lottie, you already gave me a day. And for that day, I am eternally grateful" he said with such heartbreak in his voice "But right now I have other plans." I waved my head "What other plans do you have?" He sadly smiled "To die, dear." I widen my eyes, shocked to death myself from these words.

"Colonel, you're..." I had my voice trembling, sitting on his bed "No, Frank, you're not gonna die today." He turned little up "Lottie, give me your hand." I immediately did so, gently squeezing it. "You go now, dear. Okay?" he sighed "You go. Just...Just leave me sleep here." I shooked my head "Frank..Can we start over, please? The sun is shining! It's a beautiful day" I tried comfort him "Frank, I know you don't want to be a party poop, so let's go out and do something." He gave me a long pause. "I know about your call, you have a date with that little bastard" he suddenly spoken.

I shivered, he listened to me yesterday. In first I was anxious, but then I was little angry "Listening to stranger calls isn't polite!" He frowned "And hiding it before me is polite?" Awkward silence. "I didn't mean to make you worry I'll go by myself, it's on 3PM, I hoped first half of day we could spend together" I admitted. "Together? For what?" he asked. "I don't know, I just want to do my best and spend the time as I should. Have some fun as we had yesterday. With you" I explained. "That wasn't fun, dear. It was important moment between us two" he said quietly.

"B-etween us?" I repeated. "Don't think of it, look for future, not for past" he turned it away again. "Frank, listen. This guy here I liked him for so long, he is really nice" I started, biting my lip "But I don't think there will be anything more than some friendship in fact. It's just a smaller meeting though...for an hour." He sighed "You think he likes you too? You're certain about trust from him?" I nodded "Yes, Frank. I think he's a good person and he wants to show me it." Frank waved his shoulders "Then go to him. And see yourself."