Chapter 8

Core:

It felt like I was only going through the motions; going to class, eating, sleeping. The halloween ball was two weeks past, and Flora's death still rang through gossip channels. Avol had given us leave for days and days, teaching us things that were taught in class as we worked on finding the killer. Phoenix and Avol never slept, or at least not when anyone was around. We needed to find that blood iron vein. It's the only chance we have to end the person who's done this, and avenge the deaths of Flora and Jax. Phoenix did her blood magic once or twice. She says there is a vein of blood iron in a cavern that is connected to a cave system, and there is one brutally powerful blood mage here.

Sighing, I push the books away from me. They slid into Aku's books that he had already pushed away from him. We all sat at the kitchen table, engrossed in book after book. Phoenix and Avol had their heads knocked together looking at an ancient book. There hair tangled merged into an odd color of flame. They looked to be one entity, and something in me twisted.

"Anything?" I bark out, "Is there anything?"

"No." Phoenix flops back in her chair, circles under her eyes growing.

Silence was only broken by ringing. Aku dug into his pocket, pulling out his rarely used cell phone. He was about to click the end button but paused and answered. "Dad?"

My bones froze, heart stopping.

"Yeah we're coming home for Christmas." Pause, "Yes, both of us." Pause, "We're still deciding." Pause. "I don't know dad. There is a lot going on here." Pause, "Dad-" Aku abruptly stops, waits, then gives the phone over to me.

I stare at it for a silent second before putting the phone to my ear and saying, "Hi dad."

"Core, good." His voice was like precaution it self. It once was, until another had gotten the title 'truth taker'. "I want you and your brother home for the holidays."

"I know that dad. Aku told me."

"No. No. Not just Christmas but thanksgiving as well. Your academy gives you seven weeks off starting tomorrow. I want you two home the day after."

"Dad, there are things going on-"

He cut me off, "Bring your friends, your team, and talk Avol into coming too. It has been a while since I've gotten to talk to him."

"Dad-"

He cut me off again, ending the argument, "Not up for debate. Home in three days or I come and get you both." The phone ended with a dial tone. I wanted to chuck it at a wall, but it wasn't my phone. I tossed it back to Aku

"We go home the day after break starts." I tell him. "No arguments this time." I turn to Avol, "I think we all need a break. Father says to bring you and the rest of the team."

"Or at least convince you to do it." Aku chips in, "We all do need a break."

Phoenix was the one to nod, "They're right, Avol. If we try and topple a tree with our bare hands we have to wait for it to rot."

Avol glares at her, "No more metaphors please."

"I grew up with them." Phoenix points out, "I'm surprised I don't talk in them all the time."

"How did you last this long without them?" Avol mocked.

"I bit my tongue. Many times." The last part was like an afterthought, "Please, Avol. We all need a break. I admit, I need a break."

Avol sighed with his whole body, as his shoulders slumped he flopped himself into a chair next to Phoenix. "Fine, we'll have a break, but Phoenix we'll check out this-"