Chapter Thirteen

"Baba, do you think I could practice some of my fighting moves with you?" Alex asked as we drove him to school Friday evening.

"Maybe tomorrow night so we'll have time," Ben answered.

"Okay. Mama, have you had any more bad dreams?"

"Nope. Dion is really gone now, I think." I smiled at Ben. "Your first week at the new school is almost over. Have you made a lot of friends?"

"I like everyone that's there, except Chloe's sister. She's still mean."

"Well, maybe when she gets a little older she won't be as mean," Ben offered.

"Maybe. Will you teach me how to get stronger?"

"Absolutely. I'd love to. We can work on that this weekend. Here's your stop. We love you, and we'll see you later," Ben said, taking my normal line, but his smile was so bright I didn't mind.

"I love you, too," Alex said, and ran into his school.

"I enjoy seeing you so happy," I told Ben, putting my hand on this thigh. "I can tell how much you're loving being part of a family."

He beamed. "I am. I love you both, so much. I never thought I would fit into your world like this. You know we haven't argued once since we moved?"

"Why would we? Everything is perfect right now. Dion is gone. I have my baby back. We have a nice routine going. It's all going great."

"This is exactly what I always wanted. Well, maybe it's a little different than I imagined, but it's what I always wanted for my life. I get to be a dad!"

A grin broke out across my face. "You're a great dad. I love how good you are with Alex. You guys have really found a way with each other. Speaking of parents, when is the last time you talked to your mom."

He sighed. "It's been awhile. Probably longer than it should've been."

"You should call her tonight. I'm sure she'd love to know what's going on in your life."

"She may not exactly be receptive to what I tell her," he said carefully.

"That's okay. She'll get used to the idea. Give her a chance."

He parked the car and raised his eyebrows, then heaved out a breath. "I will give her a chance, but I dont want you to get upset if she's not happy that I'm with a vampire."

"I promise I won't be hurt by your mother's opinion of me."

He rolled his eyes as he stood in front of the phone. I could hear his heart pounding from nervousness. Finally, he dialed the number. "Hey, Mom."

I leaned against a wall in the kitchen, so I could hear both sides of the conversation.

"How are you? Are you okay?" His mother asked with a slightly southern accent.

"Yes, I'm fine. A lot has happened since the last time we talked. I know it's been too long.” 

“So, tell me about it,” his  said on the other end of the line. 

“Well, theres this girl. Shes the one I've been protecting. So,” he scoffed, rubbing his foot against the floor, “I've fallen in love-”

“Oh,” she squealed. “My baby boy! I'm so happy! When do I get to meet her?”

“Well there's a couple things I need to tell ya before you do.”

“Okay?" She said uncertainly.

I felt so nervous for him. 

“Well, I was actually protecting her from an ex-boyfriend from a couple years ago.”