Chapter 13

Elliot

After addressing the whole lab with the news, I slumped back into my office. No one had taken the news well-- that was to be expected. I was met with complaints and accurate, angry remarks. No one was on board and I agreed with them.

The experiment data that sat on my desk was a whole other monster I had yet to face. With our reduced schedule, we only had enough time for at most one prototype and then the real deal. N.E.L.O.S. breathing down our asses and controlling every inch of funding we get, I'm surprised we even got what we did.

N.E.L.O.S. is notorious after all.

I worked through my lunch break again, too much data to record with too little time. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Well, I worked until I was rudely interrupted by an uninvited call.

"James," the computerized voice buzzed, "is on line one."

"Tell him that I'm not ready to see him again." I had no time for him and his drama. I had no time for his pleas. I only had time for work. . . and possibly a date with Bleddyn.

I'll text him later.

"He says it's important, Sir."

"This better be good." I sighed before picking up the phone once again. "Hello, Barton." Was the malice in my voice obvious? It better have been.

"Elliot!" The voice on the other line said with his sickly sweet cadence.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" One hand was already massaging my forehead as I had to endure the voice of my ex-fiance.

"I heard you are leading N.E.L.O.S.'s new facility in Yardford."

"What do you want? I'm busy."

"I am in town for a little while."

"What does that have to do with me, Barton?"

"Stop acting like you hate me, Darling."

"I do."

He ignored my remark. "You need me, Elliot. Don't deny it. It's been a year and I wanted to know how N.E.L.O.S. is treating you."

"You know how they're treating me," I spat through my teeth.

"I can make it change. You know that." I could see his smile, that devil's smirk. The one that ensnared me for years in its clasp. "I'm in town till Tuesday--"

I didn't let him finish, "You. Sicken. Me." The words were venom. I slammed the phone down. My breathing became ragged as my face grew fiery. "The NERVE," I screamed, "of that BASTARD!" The phone was already in the air before I processed throwing it.

"Knock knock?" I looked up in surprise. It was Allie. "Hey?"

"Hi, Al." I slumped back into my seat.

"You wanna talk about it?" She entered the office.

"I don't even know why I bother anymore."

"He's an ass, Elliot. Don't let him get to you."

"A little late for that isn't it?" I motion to the phone across the room.

"You ended it a whole-ass year ago. You'd think he'd get the message by now."

"You'd think he would have when I threw all of his shit out the window onto New York's sidewalks."

"Good point." Allie walked over to one of the spare chairs and flopped down as if she owned the place. "Anyways, is there more information on the Nihilistical front?"