Chapter 7: Aquaria

My first reaction would have been to shoot it with something, but as the baby dragons clear blue eyes bore into mine I couldn't. The small dark blue scaled creature squawked again and looked like it had a smile on its face.

When I looked into its eyes I saw myself reflected in its own soul.

There was a story I was told as a young girl that every human has a dragon that reflects their soul because their souls are one in the same. Until now I believed all it was was a story.

I brought my hand up to the side of the dragons face and it lent into it with small squeal. I smiled and laughed, once its wet scales touched my hand I felt so whole and completed. It cried out in happiness and it swelled my heart. It beat its wings in the water flying out of it splashing me. The size of the dragon was about the size of a calf without its wing span taken into consideration.

It flew in loops and swirls around me, I felt my heart flutter as if I was flying too. Then the dragon dove head first into the water and popped up behind me. It rested it's head on my shoulder weighing me down in the water a bit.

"You know," I said to the dragon. "You need a name, I think I will call you Glorian."

The dragon squeaked in distaste and swam in front of me looking at me like I was an idiot.

I giggled, "I guess you're a girl then aren't you? Well then I will have to give you a better and more suiting name." I thought for a moment, "How about Aquaria?"

The dragon squawked in happiness and dove backwards into the water. I guess that's a sign she liked her name. She popped out of the water again and rested her head back in my shoulder.

Then I heard a rushing of feet down the stone steps, "Aralia, be careful!"

I laughed at the panicked look on Shade's face, "It's alright, she's my dragon."

He paused for a moment, "She's your what?"

I rolled my eyes, "My dragon, this is Aquaria."

"Love, it's a blasted dragon, not a pet."

"Shade, I know what it is and she is mine as much as I am hers. Have you never heard of the story about a dragons soul?"

He threw his hands up, "Of course I've heard the bloody story. But, but, it's a dragon."

I chuckled, this was the first time I had ever seen Shade flustered. I nodded at the dragon and gestured towards land. Aquaria lifted it's head up and we swam to the walk way at Shades feet. I lifted myself up onto the damp stone and stood up in front of him forgetting that I was naked. The dragon jumped up onto land standing slightly behind me with it's head reaching the height of my stomach.

I rested a hand on the dragons head and smiled at Shade, "She found me and has chosen me as I have chosen her, she is my dragon and I am her rider."

He shook his head and chuckled, "This is bloody unbelievable love."

**************

After I had dried off by the fire and gotten dressed I sat face to face with Shade as Aquaria slept curled up at the mouth of the cave.

"I'm not sure if I can go home anymore." I said.

"I get the whole soul thing love, but what's more important: going home to be the next in line or to be a rider?"

"Shade," I said trying not to let the sadness in my voice show, "I don't even know if I'm the next in line, but what I do know is that the love for this dragon is real and I can't just leave her."

He put up his hands, "Wait love, you are a princess, you have to be the next in line."

"Not if I'm a bastard child."

He looked at me like I had grown a third eye, "And where, princess, did you get that from?"

"From my brothers memories, and isn't it obvious anyway? My father hates me, he sent me out to die. Why should I go back? Why not find other riders and colonize with them?" I was feeling so frustrated and the more I thought about it the more I wanted to stay.

"Or," Shade started, " You could go back to the kingdom, wait until your father kicks the bucket and then bring dragons back and take the fear of them away. Bring back the era of the riders."

I smile started to grow on my face, "You Shade, are smarter then I gave you credit for."

He smirked, "Well I am more then just dashing good looks sweets."

The plan was going to be hard, but I trusted Shade and I knew that was going to be best for both Aquaria and I and also for the kingdom. Even if I was a bastard child I would still have right to the throne because there is no one else to take my fathers place.

I was a bit nervous being away from Aquaria, but Shade said he would look after her for me. I trusted him with her and besides I am sure she could burn his ass anyway.

In the morning we were going to finish our trek to my fathers kingdom. Hopefully we will find a cave on the other side of the boarder with a body of water for Aquaria so she isn't so reluctant to follow me when I get to the city of my fathers.

For now however I must sleep, tomorrow was going to be a long day.