31. The Deadly 24th Birthday Party.

C H A P T E R
T H I R T Y - O N E

"So he left it, just like that?" Shelly repeated in disbelief. It had been a week since they had gone to Eswatini. Lin was still shocked by Julian's act of kindness. Although she was more so annoyed by it. How was she to extinguish her feelings for him when he had just parted with something that meant the world to him?

"Yes," Lin replied, briefly surveying Bambazonke Shopping Mall. To her left was the giant store called Food Lovers were many people filed in and out with an assortment of groceries. Behind her was a hyper-market called TM. Then beside the bench her and Shelly were sitting on, were various tech stores and small restaurants. The whole shopping complex had a spacious parking lot. The mall was entirely fenced, displaying all the cars speeding up and down Hillside road.

The two women were at Eskies, ordering chocolate milkshake after chocolate milkshake. They sat themselves on a wooden bench underneath a sprawling willow tree. Rays of sunshine poked through the canopy coverage, making their skin glow.

"Whoa, wonders never cease." Shelly raised her plastic cup for a toast. She tilted her head back and chugged down her milkshake.

"Tell me about it." Lin sighed. "I hate that he gave me another reason to like him."

Shelly looked at her with an arched brow before letting out a cackle. "Really? We're going to play this game?" she snorted.

Lin shrugged her shoulders. "What on earth are you on about?" Lin asked.

"Honey, you're too grown for this," Shelly muttered, "I mean, you're 24 years old today and you're still this oblivious?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lin's brows furrowed in bewilderment. She leaned back on the bench and took a sip of her milkshake.

Shelly whipped the straw out of her plastic cup and pointed at Lin with it. "You're in love with Julian Greyson."

Lin swallowed her millshake abruptly and jolted off of the bench in shock. She coughed uncontrollably, her shoulders shaking as she suffered the effects of sending her beverage down the wrong pipe. Shelly remained seated, her eyes dancing with amusement. Lin finally straightened up, her eyes slightly red from her coughing fit.

"That's not true." Lin uttered hoarsely as she gently caressed her throat.

"I like how much you're trying to convince yourself." Shelly snickered. "Oh, this is hilarious!" she threw her head back and let out a laugh.

"I cannot possibly be in love with Julian Greyson, that's just not okay!" Lin whined as she stomped on the grass like a child throwing a tantrum.

"And why not?" Shelly probed casually.

"Because he's Julian Greyson...he is just so mean and he thinks he's better than everyone else with his big strong arms and those sexy blue eyes and..." Lin trailed off dreamily, until she saw Shelly looking at her smugly.

"Mmhhhm." Shelly smirked.

Lin groaned before slumping onto the bench. "Don't think too much of it, I just like him is all."

Shelly rolled her eyes. "Why are you in denial about this?"

"Because there's a chance Julian might not love me back." Lin murmured whilst looking at the willow tree above her.