Team Not-So-Calm

Michael stood outside of room 69 on the sixth floor, his bag slung over his shoulder. He desperately wished he were up on the tenth floor. It was the best floor. It had a fantastic view and nobody bothered you because most people were crammed on the sixth and seventh floors.

But he was stuck here now. Might as well go in. He sucked in a breath and knocked. A crash sounded from behind the door.

"Shit! Sorry, mate! Wait no don't touch- fuck," a voice said. "Hold on! I'm coming! Just a moment, please."

"Yeah, um...sure?" Michael said.

After a series of bangs and "oops" and other worrying noises, the door opened to reveal a tanned guy with dark hair and manic eyes. "Sorry about that," he said. "Come on in."

Michael walked into the room, his duffel slung over his shoulder.

"Welcome to Team C.A.L.M. headquarters!" the boy said. "It's a bit of a squeeze but we make it work."

Michael almost asked if he was joking. The room was tiny. All that was in it were two bunk beds, what looked like a closet, and a microwave perched on top of a mini fridge. And it was all crammed together in a room half the size of his old one. He looked on the ground and saw what had caused all the noise. What used to be a radio was smashed on the floor along with a curly-haired boy. Frayed blue and yellow wires stuck out of the broken plastic and small sparks crackled off the tips. The boy looked dazed and disoriented as if he stuck a fork in an electric socket. It didn't take much to figure out what happened to him.

"I'm Calum," the tan boy said. "This is Ashton. He's... um... not normally like this."

"You mean electrocuted?" Michael raised an eyebrow.

"Well yes," Calum said. "And the last guy should be back in a few minutes. He was going to sneak into the kitchen and get some chips."

Michael nodded and dropped his bag on the only bare bunk. He got a bottom, unfortunately.

"This is so cool!" Calum said. "The famous Michael is on my Team! You're a legend here, you know. This is so cool. I never thought I'd even meet you, nevermind be on a Team with you."

Michael gave him a crooked smile and pulled a couple of things out of his bag. "Is there anywhere I could put these?" He asked, holding up his clothes.

Calum jumped up. "Oh yeah! Dresser's right here behind the radiator. Don't see why we need one now since we you! A living fireball!"

He chuckled and walked over to the dresser, finding one drawer (again, the bottom one) for his belongings. Unbelievable, he thought. I have four square inches of space and one of my Team members is a fanatic.

"I'm back, guys! Sorry I could only find Oreos--what the hell is he doing here?"

Michael turned around. "Oh fuck no."

Luke Hemmings. Luke Hemmings was the fourth member.

"Lou put you in my group?" Luke ground out through clenched teeth.

"Oh fuck no," Michael repeated, his eyes flaring up a burning red. Calum gasped. "I don't want to be on a Team, especially not yours. I can't fucking stand you. You make me sick and I will not work with you."

Calum ran in between the two, sensing the coming fight, and put a hand on each of their chests. He pulled his hand off of Michael quickly with a hiss. "Damn, you're hot!" Calum exclaimed and shook his hand. "Okay no fights!"

"You think I want you here?" Luke said, not even registering Calum's presence. "I can barely tolerate you for a minute nevermind always."

"Ashton, help!" Calum pleaded.

Ashton looked around confused. "Grandma?" He mumbled.

"Oh? Then why were you so eager to follow me on my mission and interfere when I was doing fine?"

"You're still on about that? I was following orders, Michael! I'm not just going to disregard a direct call from the leading director of the Corp!" Luke shouted.

Flames danced on Michael's fingertips. How he itched to throw a fireball at the irritating blonde. Calum glanced at the ceiling and eyed the smoke detector, praying they wouldn't need it.

"No fighting," he said again, firmly this time. "No starting fires and humans turning into rhinos or penguins in this room! That's a rule. We will not use our powers here or on each other. We can only use them if there's an emergency and there's something you can do to help."

A moment passed and Luke nodded, still glaring at Michael. Then he followed suit, nodding in agreement, and let the flames die out. Ashton watched from the floor in astonishment as Michael's eyes faded back to green.

"Good," Calum said. "Now hug and apologize."

"What?!" "No way!" The two boys yelled. That was the only thing they seemed to agree on. That they didn't like each other and never would.

Calum sighed. Team C.A.L.M. was going to be an interesting experience.