Chapter 3

DAMON’S POV

I open the front door and walk outside to find Stefan working on his motorcycle. It’s been put away for awhile so I’m not sure why he has it out.

“Good day for a midlife crisis. 164 years, I’d say you’re due.” I tease.

“Elena’s transition to a vampire has been a little depressing. I’m gonna help her have some fun.” He tells me.

“Oh. Those who can’t do, teach.” I scoff.

“I see we’re still fighting. Got it. Where are you going?” He asks as I walk to my car.

“The hunter jacked Tyler Lockwood of his werewolf venom, last night at the hospital, so basically, he’s got vampire poison in a bottle. I’m gonna find him, and I’m gonna eat him.”

“I’ll go with you.” Stefan says, standing up.

“I don’t want your help. I just want to kill this guy and get the hell out of town. Wasn’t that the deal? Whoever Ashley doesn’t choose leaves.” I ask.

“She didn’t choose me, Damon.”

“Well, she sure as hell didn’t choose me.” I argue.

“I think she tried, but as usual you didn’t let her.” He fires and I don’t respond. “Besides, that was all before Elena turned. She needs help.”

“And I stayed to help.” I say. “If I take you punching me as the first clue, I’m not wanted here anymore.”

“Listen, you blood shared with my girlfriend and I punched you in the face. You deserved it. Why don’t you stop being dramatic?” Wow. I was not aware that he and Elena were officially together again. I should be happy that he's with her and not Ashley, but I'm not convinced.

“No, brother, dramatic would be leaving before I kill this hunter.” I tell him before getting in my car and leaving.

ASHLEY’S POV

I arrive at school and I see Matt and Elena walking out from behind the building. She must have been drinking from him which makes me a little uncomfortable. Matt offered his blood to Elena because he feels like he owes her for her being a vampire. I feel like its my fault too, but Matt thinks he should have been the last one pulled out.

“Hey guys.” I smile when I reach them and they both smile at me. “So, you really think school is the best place for you right now?” I ask Elena.

“The vampire hunter knows that Damon’s a vampire and that I know Damon. Hiding at home could lead him straight to me.” She explains and I nod. “Besides, I want to be here. It’s my senior year. I survived this long. There’s no way I’m bailing before graduation.”

I’m glad that she feels better and she’s ready to beat all of this.

I notice a pamphlet on a car windshield and I pick it up as I walk by. “Town called for curfew?” I ask them, reading the pamphlet.

“Tyler got shot in front of half the town. Everyone’s a little freaked.” Matt tells us.

“If only they knew the real story.” Elena says and we all laugh a little bit before walking into the school.

Elena and I walk into Ric’s old classroom and we both stop. I feel flooded with memories and it hurts a lot.

“It’s the first time we’ve been back in Alaric’s classroom.” Elena says softly.

“First period and I’m ready to bawl my eyes out.” I say.

“Morning everyone.” I hear a voice behind me and I turn to see Rebekah walk in with a smile.