Chapter One-Hundred and Seven

Michael and the children chuckle as they pay close attention to the television.

I think we've been watching The Three Stooges for a good hour or so now.. 

I look over at Michael. Maybe it's time to talk to him now. I frown, slowly getting up.

Michael looks up at me, "Where are you going?" He softly asks.

"I'm going to go talk to Adjo." I say, fixing my shirt. 

Michael puts the bowl of apples down, "I'll come with yo-"

"No, Michael." I sigh, cutting him off.

"I think I should talk to him by myself for now." I gently say.

April tries to reach for the table, trying to grab the bowl of apple slices.

Michael frowns, grabbing the bowl. "Alright, baby." He says, turning back to the television.

I sigh, walking out of the living room.

Here goes nothing. 

I approach Adjo's room. 

I don't hear a sound in there. Maybe he fell asleep? 

I softly knock on the door. "Adjo, it's me." I softly say, leaning my head against the door.

Nothing. 

I sigh. "Baby, I'm coming in." I say, opening the door.

As I enter his room, I gently close the door behind me.

I frown, watching Adjo stare out of his window. 

"Adjo?" I softly say, slowly walking closer towards him.

Adjo's head slowly turns towards me, tears still filled in his eyes. 

"Why didn't anybody tell me about this before?" He whimpers.

I sit beside him on his bed. "Adjo, I-I didn't want you to find out like this.." I sigh.

Adjo frowns, "Then when were you going to tell me?" He cries.

I frown, "I don't know.." I mumble.

I glance up at him, "It's not easy to say you have HIV, you know. You're my son, Adjo." I gently wipe his tears away.

"You've gone through this before and I-I didn't want any of my children to know yet." I sniffle, feeling a lump in my throat.

Adjo shakes his head. "I-I don't want you to die." He whimpers.

"Adjo..." I coo. 

"Please, don't leave." He holds onto my hand, crying more. 

"I-I need you. W-We all need you." He cries.

I frown. "Baby, I can't control what God is about to give me. Alright?" I softly say, wiping more of his tears away.

Adjo closes his eyes as he cries more.

"But you know what, Adjo?" I lean closer to him.

Adjo opens his eyes. 

"Whatever happens in the future.. I'll still love you, your sisters and Michael. Okay? I'm not going to be giving up so easily. Afia didn't give up and I won't give up. No matter what happens, I'll be there for you.. A-And when m-my time comes, I'll be up with God and your sister.. A-And we'll watch over you, Adjo. W-We'll protect you." A few tears escape from my eyes.

Adjo frowns, "You promise?" He squeaks.

I sniffle, pulling him closer to me. "Yes." I whisper, hugging him tightly.