Chapter 35... William's Confession

(Cristiano's POV)
"...You're a  member of the Italian Mafia."

Those words, I hadn't meant for Madison to hear them so soon. I had planned to ease her into it over time. I scanned her face to read her. She looked stunned, confused, but overall she seemed to be in utter and complete disbelief.

"Governor Banks ordered a hit on Detective... I mean Cristiano Leon's brother, Alessandro, after a business deal gone bad and Cristiano is here to avenge his brother's death by killing Mason!"

Madison's eyes popped out of her head like a cartoon character. "But Mason's already dead. I killed him, remember!"

"Except you didn't." Carter continued. "You beat him unconscious then Cristiano and his goons kidnapped him."

Madison shook her head. "No... no. You're wrong!"

"I'm right." Carter signaled at me. "Just ask him. Ask him who he really is and why he's really here."

Madison looked at me, a hurt look in her eyes. "Angelo..."

"Don't call me that!" She shouted, her breathing heavy. "Who are you and why are you here?"

I lowered my head. "I'm Cristiano Leon, son of Don Luca Leon, one of the most prominent mafia leaders in the world." Madison held her chest as though she were out of breath. "I came to coerce your father into letting my father in on his illegal organ trade business."

"And you're also here to kill Mason. Don't forget that part!" Carter inserted.

I rolled my eyes. "Look, I didn't hurt Mason and I didn't hurt him because I knew that meant I would be hurting you."

"But you hurt her anyway by letting her believe she killed him!" Carter added.

"Would you shut the fuck up!" I made a disgusted face.

"Why? Because I'm the one telling her the whole truth?"

"Because it's none of your damn business! How do you even know any of this?"

"Remember when I threatened to hire a private investigator? Well, as soon as I got out of prison- which by the way, I'm suing you for- I did exactly what I said I was going to do. I hired one and man, I could not believe the shit he reported back to me!" A smug laugh escaped Carter's mouth and I wanted to punch him in it. "So were you using Madison to get to her father? Did you pretend to like her so you could get some black pussy and get under his skin?"

"Don't be stupid," I seethed.

"Is he stupid though?" Madison asked. "Because after everything I just heard, I don't find it hard to believe that you would use me to get to my dad."

"Madison, you know I would never do that to you!"

"No, I don't know that. What I do know, is that you're a liar."

"Madison, Mason is alive because I love you."

She looked taken aback by my words. "Mason is alive?" She repeated, softly.

"Yes, he is."

"And you love... love me?"

"I do. More than I thought I could love anybody."

She shook her head. "Why are you lying? Your secret's out, you don't have to pretend anymore!"

"I'm not pretending, Madison!"

"How could you say you love me but lie to me the way you did? How could oh say you love me but allow me to believe that my twin brother was dead and that I killed him? How could you?" The tears were streaming down her cheeks.