twenty

Stella's POV:

I stare at the bloody floor of the barn, shining my flashlight across the ground, hands shaking. No, not just my hands, my entire body is shaking. I'm alone in a barn that may contain the unsub, and Spencer is nowhere to be found.

I direct my gaze towards a black corridor next to the barn. I inspect it, and before figuring out that it's clear, I press my back against a wall, so that nobody can sneak up from behind me.

I run my hands through my now very knotted hair, with tiny pieces of dirt and hay in it. I glance down at my white shirt, covered in splotches of blood.

I shrug off my appearance, and focus on the space in front of me, making sure that Tobias doesn't sneak up on me. I keep my gun aimed in front of me, ready to shoot at a moving target.

After a few moments, I hear the echoes of multiple feet enter the barn. I take a deep breath, and emerge from the darkness.

"FBI!" I state, announcing my presence, training my gun on the figures in front of me. I cant quite make out their faces.

"STELLA!" Someone yells, but I cut them off.

"Don't MOVE!"

"Stella, it's Morgan and Prentiss. Don't shoot, it's okay!" A voice yells, and I watch as Derek emerges from the darkness.

Soon after, the realization hits me, and I slowly lower my gun.

"Are you hurt?" Derek follows up, inching closer to me.

I ignore his question as Emily comes to my side. "Tobias Hankel is the unsub."

"Yeah, we know." Derek responds.

"I'll go call in an ambulance." The sheriff says, leaving the barn.

"We just thought he was a witness. I- I had to kill them." I look over at the dead dogs once again.

"Stella, where's Reid?" Morgan asks, tearing his eyes away from the dogs.

I ignore his question again. "They just completely tore her apart, there's nothing left-"

"Stella, look at me." Emily speaks, and I slowly turn my head, still in shock from what just happened moments ago, and Emily continues. "Look at me. Where's Reid?"

I glance in between her and Morgan. "Uh, we split up. He said he was going to go around back."

As soon as those words leave my mouth, I watch Morgan as he sprints out of the barn. Emily ushers me out of the barn as I use her for support. Tears threaten to fall down my cheeks, but I don't let them. Not until I'm in private.

-

I sit on the back of the ambulance as an EMT checks my eyes for a head injury, and checks me out to make sure I'm not seriously injured. The sheriff stands behind the EMT, watching him make sure I'm good.

Just as the EMT turns off the light that I followed with my eyes, Emily runs up to us.

"Hey, any sign of him yet?"