Chapter 1: The Death Chanter

He watches from the trees

The rain pours down from the sky, soaking his clothes, but it doesn't bother him. He is single-minded in his mission, as he's finally managed to track down a band of brigands who were coming this way.

These men obviously had the right idea to hide here. The town of Braidwood was so isolated and far out, it was the perfect hideout for anyone who didn't want to be found.

Well, it's too bad for them that he's found them.

He could hear shouting and laughing from inside. They weren't exactly being quiet. They probably thought that they were safe.

He readies his gun.

The door bangs open. The candles flicker and go out. The men are caught off-guard, standing as they speak in panicked whispers. He moves as silently as the night. Shots ring in the air as the bodies drop at his feet.

Six shots. He counted seven people in the room. He reloads.

He doesn't flinch as he hears shallow breaths coming from behind the table.

"An eye for an eye." he smiles as he fires the final shot.

The room is quiet now.

Granger wiped the blood off of his gun, and turned. A few bags litter the floor, gold spilling out from one of them.

Granger was not a thief, but stealing from a thief? An eye for an eye. This gold would help to pay his way through his travels.

His eyes are now drawn towards the largest bag lying in a corner. What did these brigands risk their lives to steal from the Imperial Sanctuary, one of the most heavily guarded places in the Land? Diamonds? Some precious gem to sell on the black market?

He pulled open the bag that was already half-open... then stepped back.

Oh.

***

He relights the candles, the flames casting their light on his conflicted face. His eyes darted back to the other side of the room, but there was still no movement from the girl.

A girl. It was a lady. He had not just killed thieves, but kidnappers.

Of all the treasures in the land, he had not expected to find that. Judging by her clothes, she was obviously of noble birth. Judging by their torn state, she had obviously put up a huge struggle during the kidnapping. She was unconscious, half-drugged by the looks of it, and her hands were tied behind her back.

Now he was faced with a dilemma. His first thought had been to take the gold and disappear before she woke up.

But while Granger was a loner, he was not a hard-hearted man. It didn't feel right if he just left this girl behind to fend for herself. Sure, he had done her a favour and killed off her kidnappers, but now he felt the obligation to make sure she got to somewhere safe first. But if she woke up and saw the gold he was making off with... she would never let him leave with the gold.