Hope

Today, Hope was a bit sad.

Searching the sky, Hope sat cross legged near Brown, the Amaltas tree. Brown had forever been in her garden as long as Hope could remember. The fourteen-year old played around the tree every weekend or whenever she had an off from school, but on the twelfth day of every month, the tree came alive and told her stories.

'I miss my parents playing with me and having fun together. Now we seldom have those lovely moments, since I have moved up in grade nine and work has been busy for mum and dad. Oh Brown, what would I do without you? Everything's changed, now. We rarely visit Grandparents, although they're just a block away.'

'Yes, dear child. But the Creator has bigger plans, very great indeed,' Brown smiled sadly at the little girl.

'What is it?'

'Ah, that is but a secret,' Brown winked.

'But you could surely give me a clue, I know you would,' Hope added mischievously, for the curious girl loved solving riddles.

'Hmmm, a little hint won't harm I think.

Let's just say, there will come a time, when all wrongs would be reversed. Maybe, people will be forced to be shut inside their houses, stay away from friends and strangers and scrub their hands so hard, that their skins would probably come off.'

'But that doesn't seem nice,' she frowned.

Brown considered. It looked at the little girl with sad deep eyes, playing with the grass. It replied, 'Hmm. But, what if your grandparents moved in with you? What if the sky is blue again and nature, green? What if everyone starts spending time with family more, would pause and reflect? Maybe you could play with me more often. What do you think of that, little one?'