You Only Hear The Music When Your Heart Begins To Break

January 20, 2005

And you only live forever in the lights you make

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your heart begins to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday

................................................................................

Perfect.

Brendon sat next to me on the couch, lightly snoring but sleeping peacefully. Jon and Spencer were playing cards at the table and arguing over how to play go fish. My mother was talking to Hayley about how she got her hair to be so orange and Spencer's parents were baking cookies. The wind howled outside like it was calling out to mother nature. Everything was perfect. I didn't have a worry in my mind as I watched the sun set over the trees outside. I smiled at Brendon knowing that he was probably dreaming about crazy space aliens or Britney Spears.

My phone started to ring and I quickly answered it without even checking who it was because I didn't want to wake Brendon up. I hopped up from the couch and ran upstairs to our room so I didn't disturb anyone downstairs.

"Ryan? It's Pete!" The voice said.

"Oh hey. What's up?"

"I was just calling to see if I could come over so we could talk about music a bit more if that's cool."

"Sure! Wanna come over now?"

"If that's fine with you!"

"Yeah totally!"

"Okay, see you in a bit!" Pete hung up and I sighed.

My mom hasn't met Pete yet and neither have Spencer's parents. Come to think of it, neither has Hayley!

Pete arrived at our house a little under 10 minutes later. I told everyone that Pete was coming over so they were all prepared.

"Is he the singer, you know, with the sideburns?" My mom asked.

I shook my head. "No he's the bassist. With the eyeliner and bangs!" She nodded and stood by the door, ready to let him in.

Knock knock knock! My mom opened the door quickly and startled Pete.

"Um hello. I'm Pete Wentz!" He shook my mom's hand.

"Oh mom this is Pete. Pete, this is my mom. These are Spencer's parents and this is Hayley," I introduced Pete to them.

"Hi! I like Fall Out Boy!" Hayley burst out and then blushed at her sudden confidence. Pete laughed and walked over to me.

"Hey, she's cute!" He whispered into my ear.

"Dude, she's 16! You're 25, and she's Brendon' s sister!" I whispered back to him. His jaw dropped.

"Oh, sorry!" He nervously looked at Brendon to make sure he hadn't heard his comment about Hayley.

"So let's talk!" Pete said as Spencer led us (the band and Pete) into the other living room. We all sat down on the long couch.

"Well, the album isn't coming out until September unfortunately because of some issues. However I have booked you guys a show at a small club on the 30th of March," Pete said.

"Aw yeah that's awesome!" Brendon said. We were all really excited for our second show.

"I'm not sure of the exact time yet but I'll email it to you Ryan," Pete said to me.

"We should get practicing!" Spencer said. We all agreed and decided to play a mini show for Hayley, Pete, my mom, and Spencer's parents.

Jon drove to his house to get his bass while the rest of us sat up our equipment in Spencer's garage. Brendon warned up his vocal chords and I tuned my guitar. Our "audience" was waiting in the living room until we were ready.

"Woah Mona Lisa, you're guaranteed to run this town!" Brendon sang. I looked over at him, confused. It sounded good but I'd never heard that song before.

"What are you singing?" I asked. He blushed and replied.

"Oh, just this song I'm writing."

Aw he's so cute when he blushes!

Jon arrived at the house with his bass and set it up just in time. The audience was getting very impatient.

"You can come in now!" Brendon shouted. The five of them walked in and sat down on some lawn chairs that we had set up in the garage.

"Five six seven eight!" I counted them off and started playing.

"Stop stalling make a name for yourself boy you'd better put the pen and paper charm your way out! If you talk you better walk you better back your stuff up!" Brendon sang.

Uh, stuff? I guess he's too embarrassed to swear in front of Hayley or something! That cutie pie.

...........................................................................................

"You know Ryan, whenever I'm with you I feel really safe. That's why so like performing with you. In ten years I hope we will still be playing together and loving each other. If we're not then I'll he really sad. Really sad," Brendon sighed as he rested his head on my shoulder. It was later that night and everyone in the house was asleep besides Brendon and I because we just finished watching a movie.

"Yeah dude, ten years will be 2015. I'm sure we will still be playing together!" I comforted him. He smiled and looked up at me, his brown eyes gleaming.

"I love you Ryan."

"I love you too Brendon," I kissed him lightly on the forehead and stood up to go to bed. Brendon was going to sleep on the couch since there was no room in Spencer and I' s bedroom.

He could sleep in my bed... No what are you thinking! He will be fine out here!

"Goodnight. See you in the morning," I gave him one last hug and headed upstairs. I quickly stripped of my clothes and threw on a t-shirt and some sweatpants before climbing into bed.

"Goodnight Spence," I whispered. I didn't expect Spencer to hear me, since he was sleeping, but he did mumble some incoherent gibberish. I sighed and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

......................................................................................

Sorry I haven't updated for a while! I'm working on a Phanfiction so that's cool. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I was hoping to get this up two weeks ago but that didn't happen so here you go. - Samantha