Not Today - August 2019

This one's in modern America, in some alternate universe. Normally, Luna's from 1453. This story is pretty old, but it's also my test run while I figure out how to use Wattpad. I hope this is alright!

-

     "And this.. is Paracletus! My favourite friend. You will like him too!" The girl said, with a toothy grin. Today was an open-house at the orphanage, and every child was dressed their best. Even the raven plushie was adorned with a paper bow-tie made by Luna, the girl who loved him so. This was Luna's second go at this whole open-house thing, since last time no one adopted her. Despite that, she had a feeling that today would be much more fruitful than a year ago, since now she had gained some experience.

     The little girl popped the big question, not wanting to waste any time with her new potential parents. "Will you adopt me?"

     The couple looked at each other, and the woman anxiously played with her hair. Her gut felt empty as she looked at the child. Something was very wrong with Luna, but she couldn't quite place it. "I'm sorry, love.. not today."

     The man to her right blinked his brown eyes in shock. "But I thought this was-"

     "Please work with me here.. just trust me." She sighed and looked to her husband. "I'm sorry, Luna, I hope you find better parents for you."

     Luna gave an understanding nod to the couple as they walked to a different room. "It is alright! Au revoir! Thank you for listening to me!" She called out. "Please come again!" She hoped they would catch that last part as they left... but she wasn't so sure.

     With the couple gone, the little girl sat on her bed, with her legs swaying back and forth. "One day, Paracletus. We will have a family that I cannot even count on.." She looked between both of her hands, holding them up for inspection. "Dix! This many fingers. A lot of family. It will be nice.. will it not?"

     The raven plushie nodded in agreement.