Chapter 12: A Fight for their Light

--Norman's POV--

Norman smiled brightly at the sight of the Pink Palace. We made it... We're going home... he thought. He jumped when he felt Coraline jump onto him, her arms wrapping around him tightly. He laughed a little, backing up at step to hold his balance. "We did it! Norman, we did it!" she exclaimed, quite clearly ecstatic. "We're gonna go home! Oh my gosh, we're finally gonna go home..." she hugged him a little tighter. Norman continued to smile, still laughing a little until something crossed his mind. Wait a minute... his smile slowly disappeared as realization dawned on him. Coraline seemed to realize his change of attitude and let go of him, a small smile still on her face as she looked at him. "... W-what's wrong...?" she asked in worry. "Norman, aren't you happy?" she asked. His head was hanging low, his eyes clouded. ... She's going home... Not me he thought glumly. Coraline leaned down a little, trying to see his face. "Norman...?" she wondered, worry coating her voice. He finally looked at her again, attempting a smile. It clearly didn't work, seeing as she was still worried. He sighed, giving in. "It's just... Wearen't going home." He stated. She looked a little stricken, shocked at his words. "What're you talking about? We made it! Once we get in we can go through the door, then we'll be back in the real world!" she exclaimed. "Yeah, I know. The real world, in Oregon." He exclaimed. She raised an eyebrow at him, urging him to continue. "Coraline, I'm not from Oregon, remember? I'm from Blithe Hollow. Blithe Hollow is on the other side of the states!" he explained. Coraline gasped, clearly remembering now. "Oh... Norman, I'm sorry, I-" she gasped again, cutting herself off. "W-wait... My parents are still in Blithe Hollow!" she exclaimed. Norman's eyes snapped wide open. "Oh my god." He breathed. Coraline seemed to realize as well, seeing as her eyes opened up wide as well. "Our parents!" they both yelled out in panic. "Oh my god, how long have we been here?" Coraline asked in a panic. "Augh, they must be worried sick..." "Don't worry! M-maybe we can call them when we get back to the real world!" Norman suggested quickly. Coraline stared at him for a moment, then sighed. "You know they won't believe us if we tell them how we got from Blithe Hollow to Oregon, right?" she stated. He pondered on this for a moment before answering her. "Well... It's worth a shot." He told her. She seemed to give him a sad smile, and he was quick to return the favour.

After a moment he heard something underneath them and he raised an eyebrow, looking down. He listened carefully, gasping when he realized what it was. He had completely forgotten that Agatha was here as well. And she wasn't about to let them get into the Pink Palace without a challenge. "Coraline, RUN!" he screamed, quickly pushing her forward and running as a large spike shot out of the ground. Coraline yelped from the sudden action, but she was quick to obey. The spikes followed close behind them as they bolted away in a panic. He heard a yell of pain from Coraline as a large spike came between them and they went flying. He gasped, immediately running over to her and helping her up. "Are you alright?" he asked quickly. She looked up at him with a small smile, but it quickly disappeared when a shadow came over them. "Norman, watch-" Suddenly her voice was blocked out when he felt something hit the back of his head, hard. He stumbled for a moment, his vision going blurry as the world started to spin and he fell down, his eyes slowly fluttering shut as Coraline shrieked out his name in panic.

--Coraline's POV--

"NORMAN!" Coraline came to his side, lifting him up and shaking him lightly. "Norman, wake up! Wake up, you have to wake up!" she yelled at him frantically. She yelped in shock and fear when she felt herself get yanked up by the same figure that had knocked Norman out cold. "Oh, don't fuss over him, sweetie... He's too weak to protect you anyways." The familiar voice of the Other Mother hissed at her with a smirk. Coraline struggled against her grip, trying to escape. "He's not weak! Let me go!" she screamed at her in anger. The Other Mother laughed, pulling her up close. "Not a chance, sweetie..." she smirked. Suddenly her hand lashed out, and everything went black as the Other Mother's laughter faded into the darkness.