9: Adrenaline

Jacob's Wolf

Today is the day

Today is the day.

Valencia was ready. More than ready, actually. She'd gotten dressed in the formal attire required for The Chase, a shining gold silk robe that looked to be fit for a queen, a goddess. The sash was tight around her slim waist and her leg could be seen through the slit when she walked. Her hair was left natural as it fanned around her shoulders. Her face also remained bare, no eyeshadow, no lipstick, no eyeliner, just her in all her glory.

As Valencia made her way to the chosen land for The Chase, Asena and Lorena flanked her on each side, a sign that her mother was accepting the retirement of an Alpha, as well as Lorena was accepting to be promoted to Beta, and of course, Valencia... as a Luna. She scowled at the thought. Luna... what a downgrading term. She wasn't born to be second-best to her mate, she was trained to be Alpha, nothing less.

They approached the grounds, the small figures of the heirs and their parents growing with every step. Several torches were planted at the edge of the woods to signify the starting line. The wolves stood several feet away from the torches respectfully, Valencia was the first to begin.

It started raining just as they reached the group of waiting wolves, the water quickly soaking their clothes and drenching them from head to toe. A hidden smile crossed Valencia's lips. The rain would cover her scent and mix it with other animals in the forest. Just her luck. Her brown eyes roamed over each contestant. Their clothes, sagging more and more by the second, clung to their skin as the rain poured on. She could see every muscle, every vein, and it was exhilarating. Why? Because she was about to get chased by every one of these mouthwatering Alphas.

Anubis and Artemis stepped forward together. All eyes turned to them.

"Welcome, everyone. I offer my gratitude for being able to make this important event," Anubis spoke strongly. "As protocol suggests, I will reiterate the rules for our runners." Valencia glanced over each male as he spoke, her eyes naturally running over their bodies again. "Our female, Valencia, will be given a head start to run and hide before the males are allowed to chase after her. When the males pursue the female they must catch her. You shall not create traps in the woods before The Chase. There shall be no harm to the female from biting, scratching, punching, kicking, etc. If any of these occur and she is harmed, you will automatically be disqualified." Anubis glanced upward toward the sky. "Your scent must also be potent, masking your scent to prevent the female or other males from sensing you is forbidden. Nonetheless, the rain won't help in finding the female's scent easily. It will mask it quite well... though I trust you were trained to hunt by your idles." Valencia shifted from foot to foot, soon realizing that her own robe was skin-tight as well. You could practically see straight through the fabric.

"To ensure that each runner has a fair idea of what scent to chase after, the female will offer each male to smell her." Valencia waited until Anubis nodded to her, then made her way to the first male in line, Finn. His blue eyes were blazing brightly against the darkening sky as she peered up at him. She paused for a few moments before closing her eyes and looking down at an angle, giving him room to sniff the nape of her neck; the most naturally potent area on a wolf since it was where she would be marked. It was an act of offering and acceptance, she was allowing him access to her. He leaned down to her dampened skin and took a deep breath through his nose, then returned to full height.