8: Frigga

"I saw that," Nyssa said in an accusatory tone. "Your queen was on that black square. She can't take a diagonal movement and end up on white. That's just not possible."

Loki kept his face straight. "I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you're imagining things."

Nyssa opened her mouth to argue but at that moment, the doors to the dungeon hall opened and the guards escorted a new handful of prisoners in.

"Loki," a voice said, startling both of them. Nyssa vanished and Loki stood up.

Frigga was projecting herself into his cell for a visit.

This chessboard faded as Loki put himself back into his character. He gave Frigga a curt nod before turning away towards the window, watching the parade of new prisoners.

"Odin continues to bring me new friends," he monotoned bitterly. "How...thoughtful."

"The books I sent...do they not interest you?" she asked.

"Is that how I am to while away eternity? Reading?" he asked, in the same tone.

"I've done everything in my power to keep you comfortable," she said, her tone slightly stern.

"Have you?" he asked, now in a mocking manner. "Does Odin share your concern? Does Thor?"

Unseen, Nyssa placed a hand on his shoulder, trying to calm him. If he noticed her, he didn't show it.

"It must be so inconvenient, them asking after me day and night," he continued, his flat voice now dripping with sarcasm.

"You know full well it was your actions that brought you here," she reminded him.

"My actions," he scoffed. "I was merely giving truth to the lie I've been fed my entire life: That I was born to be a king."

Nyssa followed him, grabbing his hand to calm him down.

"A king?" Frigga asked incredulously. "A true king admits his faults! What of the lives you took on earth."

Loki forced himself to be angry. He knew she was right and he felt the pain of guilt every day. However, he was committed to his role.

"A mere handful compared to the number Odin has taken himself," he retorted.

"Your father-"

"He's not my father!" he shouted. He didn't have to pretend. He was certain of this one thing.

"Loki," Nyssa whispered. "Breathe."

A mix of sorrow and defeat crossed Frigga's face.

"Then am I not your mother?" she implored.

"Loki, please," Nyssa whispered, trying to stop him from saying something he would regret.

Loki was unable to fully mask the pain on his face. Of course she was his mother. But...he was playing a part and had to be consistent.

"You're not," he finally said, using an illusion to mask the tear that rolled down his face.

Frigga let out a small sarcastic laugh. "Always so perceptive about everyone but yourself."

She took a few steps toward him, her expression telling him she saw right through him.

Loki swiped his hand through hers, dispelling the image. The pained yet loving look on his mother's face broke him.

He sat down hard on the bed and buried his face in his hands, choking back tears.

Nyssa cast an illusion on the walls and reappeared.