Chapter 1

~Kevin

To say the past week of tour has been stressful would be a massive understatement. Everyone but Scott and myself has gotten sick. Avi was the first, which I found to be weird. His immune system seems to be the best out of all of us. Thankfully he was feeling better by the time we had to leave for tour. He had gotten sick on our week long break. That week Esther was over every minute of every day to make sure Avi would be well again for the upcoming shows. Unfortunately that means she got sick too, but she insisted we go ahead with tour and she could "manage from afar."

Our first show was in Denver, Colorado and since it's winter we decided to just drive so we wouldn't have to worry about our flight being cancelled due to snow. We also just really like road trips. So at the beginning of the week we all loaded into the bus. That's when Avi and I learned that Mitch had just gotten over the flu. Not even two days later Kirstie caught what seemed to be the love child of Avi and Mitch's illnesses. She threw up all of the first day, and went two days straight without eating. On the third day Avi got her to eat roughly a hand full of Lucky Charms. Since Kirstie refused to let us take her to a doctor Avi has been taking care of her. Scott and I can't get too close since we haven't been sick yet, and Mitch couldn't handle the vomit. I also know how much Avi likes Kirstie, so I have a feeling that may have something to do with him enthusiastically caring for her. But since Esther is still sick he's been worried about her too. I can't remember the last time he got a full night's rest. He's either on the phone with Esther or up taking care of Kirstie since she basically hasn't slept either. And with all the worry of his loved ones being so ill I can't imagine how stressed Avi must be. I'm really starting to worry about him.

The back lounge of the bus was claimed by Avi and Kirstie. He kept her quarantined back there to protect the rest of us. The only time we ever see her is if she needs to go to the bathroom. But from the few times we've seen her recently and based on what Avi tells us, she's getting a lot better. And even more good news; Jenevieve says that we're running about a day earlier than scheduled, which is surprising considering how many impromptu Walgreens trips we've made. Leave it to Jenevieve to get us somewhere early. There's a reason she's our favorite bus driver.

Mitch, Scott, and I all sat in the main lounge and talked about a new possible song to cover. The three of us were pumped about the song, but we need everyone on board before we start arranging. I vocalized this issue and Mitch got up and walked to the back of the bus, stopping before the curtain blocking the back lounge. He knocked on the wall.

"Avi, can Kirstie come out and play?" Mitch asked in a rather childish voice. Scott and I laughed.

"No." Avi replied flatly.

"For real though, Scott found a really good song he thinks we should cover and we need you guys to listen to it."

"We can listen to it back here. I'm not risking getting Scott or Kevin sick."

"Dude, just come out here! We'll be fine!" I yelled back at him. I'm surprised Kirstie hasn't said anything yet. I know she's dying to get out here and join everyone.

"Come on Avi!" Mitch whined. "Y'all can sit on one couch and we'll sit on the other. There will be minimal germ mingling." At his words Scott jumped up and came and sat by me.

"We're already in position and everything." Scott called to the back. Suddenly we heard the curtain fly open.

"Kirstie!" Avi's voice rang through the bus.

"No! I want to be free!" Kirstie laughed and hurriedly stumbled to our lounge area. She looked very excited, but also ready to pass out at any moment. Avi rushed after her, she plopped down on the couch before he could reach her.

"Fine. But you stay right here on this couch little missy!" Avi playfully scolded her and Kirstie just stuck her tongue out at him. I took a good look at Avi when he sat down beside her. He looked worse than Kirstie. There were huge bags under his eyes and his skin was even paler than usual. And if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure his eyes were a little bloodshot as well. I've never seen him so tired. I would definitely have to express my concern to him at some point. But that would have to be after we work our magic on this song.