heartbreaker ~ song blurb

heartbreaker ~ bad suns

+

   Draco stared past everyone at the Halloween ball. Masks had been required, as were costumes. He hadn't bothered on a costume, seeing that his plain black suit would be enough. His mask was a plain, deep green. There were engravings on the side, snakes. They were writhed in-between each other, bewitched to squirm across the mask. He wasn't hidden though, his blond hair gave him away, instantly. Masks were set to come off at 12am, sharp, and it was 11:57, yet he couldn't find you in the crowd.

   You hadn't seen each other since the week before, when you broke up with him. His love was taxing, demanding, even. It made your heart collapse, unable to handle it. You loved him, but he was too much. You would rather break his heart before your own broke from the pressure.

   But, there you were. Across the room, you were dancing with Theodore Nott, a fellow Slytherin. Draco recognized your hair and your figure immediately. It was unlike anyone elses, dainty and graceful. Inching closer, Draco remained nonchalant. You hadn't noticed yet, but Theodore immediately took notice of him.

   Theodore was aware of Draco's plans. He would be the one to pass you off to Draco, allowing the two of you to reconnect. Draco was determined to win back your love. It was now 11:59. In seconds, the countdown would begin and the masks would be removed.

   Your eyes were fastened shut, enjoying the moment with Theo. His arms were secured on your waist, while yours found a place on his broad shoulders. He suddenly removed his hands, grabbing yours and placing them back down on something. You opened your eyes, immediately recognizing the man in front of you. His grasp was firm on your waist, as if he couldn't bring himself to ever let go.

   "Start the countdown!" A Gryffindor yelled.

Five.

   "Separation brings us awfully close," Draco breathed out, eyeing the part of your face that wasn't covered by the mask.

Four.

   "I should probably go," You told him, breath hitching in your throat. Seeing him was too much, you had to get away.

Three.

   "Tell me something I don't already know," He teased, though his grip on your waist tightened significantly.

Two.

   "I just-"

One.

   Draco removed his mask, snatching yours off with his other hand. "I can't let you go," He said, softly. He leaned down, passionately kissing you. His hands dropped the masks, tangling themselves into your hair. Draco stared into your eyes, unsure if he made a mistake or not. You didn't care about the future. You didn't care if this love killed you; you needed him.