Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 1 - Soren

I stood at my father's side in the circular inner courtyard of his strange, castle-like home. Together, we watched the waterfall spilling in an endless stream from the lip of rock high above and disappearing into the yawning darkness of the chasm at its base.

His 'Stronghold,' as he called it, was partly built of dark stone and partly carved from the rock of the steep canyon wall. Shaped like a crescent, its curving arms hugged an inner courtyard, at the center of which was a deep chasm leading to the caves below.

It was the seat of his power, from which he ruled a large territory that stretched from central California far north into Oregon. He had no power among mortal peoples, of course, but among vampires, he was something like a lord—a master, you might say.

Ari and I were visiting at his request, and I'd been enjoying our stay in what had been, for many years, my only home.

Enjoying it right up until my father's last sentence, that is.

"Father, please. I beg you to reconsider," I said. "It is far too soon."

"I disagree. You knew this was coming, Soren, and you have had plenty of time to prepare."

My father, the vampire Volkir, was dressed as usual in an expensive silk suit, perfectly tailored to fit his tall, powerful body.

Like me, he had pale skin and blond hair—light with darker streaks throughout—and features that would look at home on a marble statue sculpted by a master hand. At 439, he was among the oldest of our kind on this continent and among the most powerful in the world.

"I'm not ready," I argued, clenching my hands into fists and beginning to pace back and forth over the flat stones that paved the courtyard walkway. My eyes were drawn to the lines of emerald mosses growing in their cracks and the sparkle of fine mist that covered them like diamond dust.

"Nonsense," my father returned, his deep voice firm and his silvery eyes following me like the eyes of a great cat. "It has been two years now, Soren. I told you once that I will not wait forever, and now the time has come when I will wait no more. There are things I wish to do, which I cannot do while maintaining dominion of this realm. It is time for you to take my place. You are ready."

I stopped pacing and leaned against the low stone rail, gazing down into the black pit on the other side, which seemed to mirror the black pit of dread opening in my heart.

"I don't want to," I said at last. "I'm happy to stand in for you, from time to time, but I have no desire to assume responsibility for your domain."

"Our domain," my father corrected. "Soren..."

I heard him draw a long breath, and then he came to stand close at my side, laying his hand on my arm and making me turn to face him.

"Everything has its season, my son," he said. "Mine, as regent of this realm, at least, is at an end. The time is right for it to pass to you, and to your life-bonded mate. Tlalli, too, is considering an end to her reign and, with no heir of her own, she has proposed that we combine our lands. There is no one I would trust with such power save for Ari and yourself. You have both proven yourselves worthy many times. Here—"

He raised his elegant hand and removed the wolf's-head ring he wore—the symbol of his power. Then he took my own hand and slid the ring on my finger. It fit, the wolf's sapphire eyes glinting in the pale, early morning light.

"It is done."

"Father..." I stared at the ring, an unnamed feeling constricting my throat and tightening like a band around my heart.

He laughed softly and patted my back. "Fret not, dear boy. I will be here to guide you and help you however I can. But from this day on, my power passes to you."