Chapter 1

-Niall-

••December 24, 2009••

"If I die young, don't cry over me. Don't take the time to remember me. Just to know that you loved me for myself is enough. Just to be acknowledged is nice, but gather up your tears and keep them in your pocket. Save them for another time. A more important time."

"No. You won't die young. Don't even say that word. You'll make it through this," I said squeezing my best friend's hand. The only friend I had since the age three--the only true friend of mine.

"Oh Niall, you've always been so kind to me and made me love me for myself. No one could have convinced me to do that. Even through the roughest times you were there. I won't ever forget you."

"Don't say that," I said desperately. Tears ran down my cheeks, completely uncontrollable.

"You're the best, I'm sorry I have to leave you." Her voice shook. I knew she was holding back tears. Even in the last minutes she was pretending to be strong in front of me.

"But you might not leave me, so please stop saying that." I begged. "This can't be the end. You've been fighting so hard all your life. You can't just give up."

"Niall, I have cancer. We've been through this. You knew this day was coming sooner or later," She smiled, making her dimples faintly visible.

"But Faith, what about our movie date Saturday?" I asked. She playfully gasped, so quietly it wouldn't normally have been heard, but the quietness in this room was so eerie and silent, it seemed loud. She grabbed ahold of my hand and placed it on her cheek.

"In my next life. You better be finding a girlfriend soon, then you don't have to keep taking your best friend to the most cheesy romantic movies."

I sat there, feeling no warmth in her cheeks. Her face was pale but she looked fine. She could make it through this though, right? It was possible... Wasn't it? I couldn't even convince myself anymore. Faith and I had done everything together since babies. When we had initially found out that she would die in a year and a half, I tried to make the best of it. Make it the best short life ever for her but I never thought that last day would actually arrive.

"Niall, stop crying." Faith's soft voice said suddenly, snapping me out of my thoughts. I blinked, tears running down my cheek. I didn't notice how much I was crying.

"Mum's calling you, Niall." She let out a deep sigh. "Don't worry though. I'll be okay. I'll always be watching over you and don't forget me when you become rich and famous," Her smile faded for a second as if she finally realized that she was saying goodbye permanently. Then she smiled again.

My vision blurred, and I could barely see anything but I knew how hard she was trying not to cry.

"Faith. I love you. I love you a lot. I would never forget you. Ever. And about auditions-"

"Niall. You better go audition for me. I finally got you to sign up for it, so you have to do it. I know you'll become famous. XFactor will see something special in you. Please. For me."

"Faith-"

"Please. Just promise me that one thing." Her eyes shone even under the hospital lights.

"Yeah. I promise. I love you okay?" I said, as the door swung open to Faith's mum standing there, as she called my name out. But it seemed so distant.

"I love you more. Forever and always." She said. She always told me that she loved me 'forever and always' ever since we were young. I knew I wouldn't ever forget it.

I lent over and kissed her forehead before being pulled away by her mum.

Faith smiled as I walked out of the hospital doors into the waiting room. Her mum wasn't as emotional as me. She knew it would be today, didn't she? And she didn't even bother to tell me.

The tears didn't stop. My face felt hot and I couldn't see anything. Everything was a blur, just a big blur.

*Three Years Later*

••December 24, 2012••

"Who's enjoying Take Me Home?!" I yelled at the top of my lungs.

The crowd cheers as I nodded and smiled back at them.

"You guys are the best fans ever," I said back and received a lot more cheering.

"So what made you audition for the XFactor?" The announcer asked, making my smile swipe right off of my face like it was never there.

I let out a deep sigh before I answered, "A friend of mine signed me up and I kept telling her that I didn't want to but she kind of, like, forced me into it." I scratched the back of my neck anxiously wanting to change the subject.

"Well then, the world should be thanking her! Want to give us her twitter name?"

"I reckon I'd have thanked her a million times, as well," I let out a nervous chuckle before I continued, "But she died due to cancer at age seventeen."

Tears welled up again at the corners of my eyes, but I tried to blink it away.

"I'm sorry to hear that but we have to go to commercial. We'll be right back with our very own Niall Horan from One Direction. This is the Late Night Show, live from Mullingar, Ireland." The lights dimmed as I got up from the couch and walked straight into the loo.

As soon as I got into the loo, I locked the door behind me and lent onto the cold tiled wall.

"Hey Faith. I almost cried, but it was an almost." I let out a dry chuckle.

I walked over to the sink and ran the water, splashing it on my face which made the bathroom floor all wet.

"Okay. I'm good," I said to my reflection in the mirror, taking a quick glance at my wristwatch.

11:24pm

Almost over. Thank God.

I walked out of the loo wiping my wet hands on my red polo shirt as I made my way back to the couch.

Tomorrow was Christmas, which was the reason why I'm back at home in Mullingar. I was in London for ages, I practically lived there now.. But I got to come home for Christmas and visit family. Tomorrow I was going to Faith's parents and my nervousness level was sky high. I didn't know what I should say or if I could stand there without sobbing, for that matter. What did they expect from me? For me to tell them that I still cry over Faith every night? How it's so hard to keep it to myself, being so famous and the paparazzi following me around 24/7? Or maybe I should tell them how their daughter's decision on signing me up to the XFactor was the second best thing that's ever happened to me. Faith is the first of course. She will always be first.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket making me snap out of my thoughts. I looked over at the huge clock counting down till we were on air again.

2:41

2:40

2:39

2:38

I had enough time to answer this phone call.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and take a look at the caller ID.

Blocked Number

I stared at it. An internal debate on whether to answer it or not.

After a few seconds I declined the call and stuffed the phone back into my pocket.

••December 25, 2012••

One unheard message. First unheard message.

"Hi, Niall. I was watching you on the Late Night Show. You've gotten so much bigger and older and handsome. We need to talk. We actually have a lot of catching up to do. I'll call you again later, okay? I love you. Forever and always."

The phone dropped out of my hand and hit the floor with a loud crash.

"Niall, mate, you alright?" Harry asked, looking up from his phone.

"H-H-Har-Harry... F-Fa-Faith. Sh-she.. called me."

Hey guys! So this is my Niall Horan FanFiction. Lemme know how you guys like it! Thanks. Love you all a lot (: xox