drabble # 1

' hey , can i have a taste ? '
' it's just normal coffee . i don't know what you expect . '
the ash-blonde continues to look off into the distance , opting to focus on the eager shoppers carrying bags down the sidewalk rather than the boy across from him , who is contrarily looking right at katsuki . the latter had only looked directly at denki around two or three times during the outing . had he been anyone other than katsuki feelings-are-bullshit bakugou , his refusal to look at the person he was sharing a table with could be seen as a sign of nervousness .
katsuki isn't nervous . not at all .
' i think the way a person likes their coffee can tell a lot about them , ' denki continues . ' c'mon , just let me try . '
reluctantly , katsuki slides the coffee cup across the table . denki slides his across in return .
they both take a sip .
denki's coffee is overwhelmingly sweet ; that's the first thing that comes to katsuki's mind . a mix of caramel and vanilla that sits in katsuki's mouth even after he's swallowed the drink . it's cold , some kind of iced frappuccino , and the contrast from katsuki's coffee is immediately clear .
katsuki's drink is bitter , at first . then the sugar and cream creep in , and denki's relieved that he's not stuck with the type of person who likes their coffee as black as their wardrobe . it's still warm , and the fact that it's already half empty worries denki ; had katsuki started drinking it when it was still piping hot ?
straws and cup lids leave mouths and are replaced with a silence that is quickly broken by katsuki , for once .
' it's really sweet . ' he's blunt and quick , refusing to go past that single sentence .
' well , what do you think ? ' denki asks , his stupid grin already coming back .
katsuki looks up with confusion in his eyes , but he still retains his uninterested expression . ' i just told you . '
' no , i mean what do you think it says about me ? ' denki's beaming now , letting katsuki know that he's probably about something incredibly stupid or impressively annoying . ' like this : i'm thinking ... you try to seem bitter , but you're kinda sweet when someone gets to know you ? ' he ends the sentence like a question and looks at katsuki for confirmation .
' or maybe i just don't like overly sweet coffee, ' katsuki says as he reaches across the table and swipes his coffee cup back , pushing denki's back across as well . he doesn't meet denki's gaze and rather looks down at the table , meaning he doesn't see it when denki's expression turns into a pout .
' well , what do you think my coffee says about me ? i have a feeling you're not gonna say i'm sweet . " denki props his elbow up on the table and rests his face on his fist . he's still upset from being shot down , but his golden eyes are sparkling with interest .
katsuki blinks once , twice , putting more thought than he thinks he should into denki's stupid coffee analyzing game . ' eh ... you know how sugar makes people really hyped up , right ? i think you're like that . hyper and overwhelming . '
denki's smile returns with full force with the confirmation that he got katsuki to play along . ' you're a natural ! even if that was kind of insulting . '