i // schlatt

Once the clock struck lunch period, Schlatt was quick to gather his things and head to his locker. He practically strutted down the hallway, decked out in a full suit and dress shoes, reaching his locker in no time. A quick switch of things before he held a paper bag in his hand, which contained his homemade lunch. He never ate the lunches the school prepared, since they were usually disgusting and what the students on the lower end of the social hierarchy ate. That's what he kept telling himself, of course, but he knew it was really because he couldn't cook his own food for the life of him.

Now, Schlatt considered himself to be popular. He was surrounded by multiple acquaintances of his who also were thought of as the 'cool kids', and the title subconsciously came forward. He liked to be on top- to have everyone he knew under his thumb at any given moment- and he had successfully and swiftly done that in the mere 3 years he had been in high school. He didn't dominate the ranks, sure, but he was pretty high up there.

He didn't normally interact with people outside of his group, if much at all.

That being said, he wasn't bothered nor waved at when he made his way to one of the doors leading outside beside the cafeteria, having to weave through multiple waves of people to do so. He scoped out his normal spot- two connecting picnic tables secluded under a big oak tree.

Though, a small boy sat there, picking at his lunch. Schlatt could only see his dark brown hair, but it was enough for him to realize it was definitely not anyone he knew.

Groaning, he paced over, sitting far away from the other and rummaging through his paper bag. He could easily just find somewhere else to sit, but this was his spot, his table. He wasn't budging. 

As Schlatt sat down at the opposite end of the picnic table, he was able to take the boy in. One hand was tangled in his hair, pulling anxiously at individual strands whilst the other worked to spin his hoodie string around his pointer finger. He was small, if anything, smaller than most of the freshman- and his young face only further aided that assumption. Probably one of the eighth graders that hung around the high school lunch area, seeing as they had break at the same time and the schools were next to each other.

The taller grabbed an apple from the bag, crossing his legs and dusting off his suit. The only downside of sitting outside was the possibility of ruining his attire, which has happened in the past. Tears from loose pieces of wood, grass or dirt stains, you name it. He was extra careful nowadays to not ruin his suits, even though he had multiple to choose from.

He came from a very wealthy family. His father was seen as a (quote on quote) mafia boss, though in all honestly, he was just a guy behind a computer scamming people left and right. His family made their wealth that way. His mother worked in a big company- at least he assumed she still did- one he aspired to lead one day. He wanted to take it to the top of the world, and no one was going to get in his path.

Sadly, he didn't see much of them anymore. His mother moved out when he was a kid for god knows what reason, and his father abandoned him at the beginning of freshman year. That's why he only had an apple and a poorly made ham sandwich for lunch, but he was too stoic to admit, if you could even get that far.

He eyed the smaller kid as he took a bite out of his apple, chewing slowly as he adverted his gaze to a few of the other students around. It was nearing prom season, so everyone was either completely settled or staring all lovey-dovey at whatever soulmate they picked up in chemistry.

Ah, he got it now. Chemistry

Schlatt just chuckled to himself, taking his phone out of his pocket and scrolling mindlessly through social media as he ate. The kid seemed to stiffen as time went on, however, and he couldn't not say something. The smaller was practically sweating bullets, eyes focused on the table rather than his food.

He had grown pretty good at knowing when someone was feeling fear. He was quite the intimidating person, and though he wasn't one for bullying, he got caught in ruts from time to time. You have to do what you have to do, and if being mean was his way to make people realize he was at the top of the totem pole? It was worth it.

He slipped his phone into his pocket, since watching the other wallow in his own anxiety was enough amusement.

Swallowing a chunk of his apple, Schlatt nonchalantly asked, "So, like, have your balls dropped yet?"

He watched as the boy snickered quietly and suppressed a smile, but the minute they made eye contact, everything went downhill. "Oh, uh-" he stuttered, looking down at the table. "Wow, I wonder what kind of wood this is."

Schlatt didn't spare him a smile, even when he adverted his attention to the wood. He took another bite, studying him carefully. Definitely too puny to be near his age. But he had better things to worry about than asking what grade he was in, seeing as he completely avoided anything that just left his mouth.

"That's a serious question, kid," Schlatt continued, narrowing his eyes as he uncrossed his leg. "I'm expecting an answer."

He heard commotion, turning to find the source. Just Techno picking on someone smaller, per usual. He had no empathy when it came to that stuff, or much at all. Feelings would just get in the way of his ambition, and he couldn't have that. He had to prove he was worthy.

The kid he was bullying was no one he knew, so he paid no mind to it. Just another pawn in his game.

That's what high school had become. A mindless maze of enemies to attack and items to pick up and puzzles to solve. Then you made it out- hallelujah- and then you had to turn back and do it all again in college. They were all NPCs, and he was the main character.

The kid all but squeaked, eyes glued to the table. This was a normal reaction, so a bit more pushing was needed before he could have his trademark final laugh. But the stillness was interrupted when the boy began to swoop up his lunch, making the obvious decision to book it.

Schlatt watched the kid with keen eyes, like a wolf watching a rabbit. He was reaching for his bag. Looking to run, eh?

"Hey, I'm not done with you," he blurted out, and his heart ached a little. He was starting to sound like Techno, wasn't he? That was the exact thing he was trying to escape, yet the words came out effortlessly. He wasn't one for apologies, so he just had to sit there, watching the other's demise.

Though he could be watching Techno, analyzing his every move and tick, he knew that Ted was recording everything. He always was; he was like a hawk, that kid. It was odd how he seemed to never not be there, but it was his source of income, so he kind of had to. It was funny how students paid him to watch videos of fights, but seeing as they were high quality and with good audio, it was easy for them to spread like wildfire. Ted documented campus, pretty much, and there was no doubt he'd be spotted in no time.

By the looks of it, Techno had already pushed someone to the ground, another two cowering together as the pink haired boy approached them. It was too far to make out who, exactly, but it was definitely some of the unpopular kids. Not only did their stance reek of insecurity, but Techno would never so much as touch another popular kid, Schlatt being the exception, of course.

"I, uh... sorry, that's my fault," The boy mumbled as he closed his eyes, snapping Schlatt out of his thoughts. Then the smaller caught onto the fight, narrowing his eyes. "I, uh- I'm sorry, but, like... do you two just- go after people? You both act alike." He pointed out.

Out of all things he can say.

He says that.