Ch. 16 - The End

"Part of the journey is the end."
~ Tony Stark

The targets glowed in mostly shades of red and orange, showing guards that Jarvis was detecting within the stronghold. The team was able to spot their locations easily after using heat signature scans.

The Hydra stronghold is where the tracking signal was strongest, meaning it must've been found and hacked directly. Luckily, it was able to be picked up on a digital copy of transmissions. That's how Natasha found it, having been taught a little of inside information in the Red Room training; including the exact same methods.

Bucky and Peter had also managed to pull up some information from their brains, remembering being told a little about the trackers. Then, Tony and Clint followed up on the original signal on a recon mission to what appeared to be an empty base. Except a quick view from Jarvis confirmed that it was not abandoned in the slightest.

Peter knew the usual feeling of despair and total dread; knew the way it clawed at his stomach, desperate to get out and face the threat head on. But he didn't have that familiar wave of nausea this time. The brunette realized that the mission would be a total success. Or so he thought...

However, it was a little reassuring that Peter had a new web shooter that was built by hand with Mr. Stark for his regular wrist. A strong electric shock from Thor's magical hammer did the trick to enable use if the metal armed one. Peter was also just a teeny bit surprised that they trusted him enough to not attack them. But then again, everyone seemed nice; them being friends with Bucky and Natasha was also a plus.

"Hawkeye, you and Widow flank the right side. Go in on stealth mode," Steve commanded while thinking of a game plan. They had to make sure this would go well. Otherwise, someone was liable to get hurt, and he knew that's not what they needed.

"Aye aye, Captain!" Even though Clint was half joking when he said that, his seriousness to accomplish the mission shown through with streaks of uttermost loyalty.

"We need someone to destroy the inner control panels. The stronghold is a leftover base from the second world war, so the technology is...not the greatest. Thor?"

Thor nodded and Tony pointed out all the enemies in the room, most likely monitoring the old files and rewiring the tech and science gadgets,"I'll cover Point Break."

"Then it's settled-" Steve started before being interrupted by the one and only Tony Stark.

"Woah, woah, woah, Capsicle! What about today's inspiring speech?" Tony said with mock surprise written on his face. He even made his jaw drop to the point where it was comical, eyes popping out.

"Well-"

"Actually," Peter spoke up from the shadowy corner he was in, startling two birds named Clint and Sam, "I wanted to say something. Oh, and sorry, that corner was really dark and I couldn't help myself. I- I think there's a bulb out..." He trailed off after realizing he was rambling.

"Hydra has spent far too long corrupting the innocent lives in this world. They take them and turn them, turn 'em into something they're not. They try to run and escape the past; running into a proclaimed, bright future. But you can't.

"Decisions we've made may not show our best side. But it also gives us a chance to display how we act and respond and change. You also can't escape anything, at least, not entirely. At some point or another, you have to stand up and say no, to fight the battles that impact everyone. A defining moment; it focuses on who we really are beneath our shaded layers and fortified walls."

There was a moment of silence after Peter finished his speech. He wasn't sure if it was good or bad or somewhere in between. Although, he was also a little impressed that it came off the top of his head. Then, everyone started clapping, showing him, that they had heard every single word.

***

An explosion rocked the ground, causing stray pieces of wood to fall onto the fresh layer of snow. Phase one of the plan to destroy Hydra was playing out right in front of their eyes.

This part included bombing the facility head on, in several different places. Some of the bombs were from the Ironman suit while others were more manual to set off; Hydra could only pick them up if they were specially looking on the very exact frequency, which was rather unlikely.

One, two, three explosives had already been set up, so now, Tony and Thor were just waiting for their signal; the signal being the last strike to go off on the opposite side of the stronghold. From there, they had to go in, guns a blazing, and wipe all the data.

Then, all the Hydra files would be deleted, for good. The team had already known this would work because of the technology dating back several decades. Possibly even a century ago. How old is Hydra again?

A loud blast in the distance finally went boom, the sound traveling across the snow filled forest. Our time to shine, Tony thought, and what's up with Hydra and the forest?

"Thor, that's our cue!" Tony said while flying over the ground by a small amount. It's now or never to destroy the head of Hydra, despite what they're always saying, "Cut off one head and two more shall take its place!"

"Alrighty, Captain. We're in the building."

With the remaining soldiers knocked to the floor after a "good talk with Tony Stark", it was easy to start smashing things. It was almost like being the Hulk, except a little more control. The actual Hulk was prepping a medical wing in case of an emergency. Some had thought he should go in, but alas, Bruce was the only one capable of doing medical things.

Suddenly, a disheveled guard shouted out a command in Russian, most likely noticing two spies walking in through the side door. Clint had an arrow nocked in his bow and pointed at his heart before the guy could even say anything else.

Natasha went ahead of the body and peered around the corner. Counting about ten Hydra officers, she twisted a bracelet to reveal a set of widow's bites. Then, she threw one in the middle of the room and shocked everyone. Natasha smirked at her best friend.

"Show off..." Clint muttered under his breath. "Bucky, update on your position?"

"Uhh, Peter and I are planting the last wad of C4," Bucky replied while not even sparing a glance around, "After this, the whole place will light up like the 4th of July."

"That's why you have to be a safe distance away in a few minutes time," Peter added. His hands moved precisely, having done this before when working for the other side. He connected the final wire to its point of input and listened for a small click. When it finally sounded, the father and son knew the timer was ticking. "Two minutes, starting now!"

"Copy that, the Man of Iron and I are out and on the way to the quinjet," Thor's booming voice came on over the comms, along with similar response from Clint and Natasha.

Bucky turned to Peter and put a hand on his shoulder, just like he used to. Like his son, the soldier knew that gut feeling of something being off. It was now or never to say it. "Peter?"

"Uh-huh?" Green eyes met brown ones.

"I just wanted to say...in case I don't get the chance-"

Peter clasped his hand over Bucky's mouth and cried, "N- no! Don't speak like that, okay? Everyone will be just fine-"

"I love you, Peter. I always have and will, no matter what happens to us."

Those were the last words Bucky remembered saying before he felt a silver bullet enter his chest. Although, he did remember hearing his son cry one last time. "DAD!"

**Don't worry, this is not the last chapter. There will be an epilogue after this, so sorry if the title and quote was misleading. But I had already written that when the idea hit me to have Bucky get hurt. I'm evil like that!

Also, Peter's thoughts on his own speech actually perfectly reflect mine. Was that good?

Words: 1410