60

The thought of a rest never once crossed Liruliniel's mind, not once; she was under the impression that there was haste in hunting down the orcs, but also to get to Lake-town beforehand, possibly. Legolas and Tauriel however, disagreed. There was no point in them rushing ahead, forever pressing onwards just to eventually tire themselves out. Sure, they may not tire as easily as mortals, but even still, steadfastly running to Esgaroth would eventually tire them, it was inevitable. She felt bad when she slipped away, quite easily, when nightfall came. The worse part being that Legolas did not even try and halt her. He was on guard for the first part of the evening, she hadn't even tried to be that secretive, yet his voice still made her stop attempting climbing into a tree.

Legolas sat near the small fire they had made and just looked up at her. "You will not stop, will you? Even with the pack out there too, it will not stop you, will it?"

Liruliniel shook her head, "No. I cannot sit still and wait for the worst to happen. I have sat by too long, and I am restless in standing aside. If that pack reach the town, it will be a slaughter. Likewise, if those dwarves reach the Mountain even worse things will happen."

"So, you do not wish to aid them inside?" Legolas's blue eyes stared upward at her, the flame light made them even more sharp looking.

Liruliniel crouched down beside him once she moved to his side. "I have already seen the dragon, Legolas. And since the first time I did, I have been trying to think of a way to stop it destroying yet another city. I have failed, I am not one for admitting failure, but other than killing the thing...sure, that may seem impossible but everyone has a weakness. I digress, with enough warning and words spoken to the Master, surely an evacuation can be put in place? I did not physically see the destruction of Dale, I would rather keep to that with Esgaroth and not see it either."

"You are persistent," Legolas tried to sound grumbling on the matter, but he failed because the corners of his lips turned up slightly. Liruliniel smiled and let out a quiet laugh, she looked to their still sleeping friend and sighed. Legolas caught her gaze and looked at her firmly, "I do not need to explain to her why you have gone. Believe me when I say that she would join you if you woke her. But tactically, it is not wise."

"One tired elf is enough, hm?"

"You are very fast at recovery, we all know it. Likewise you are perhaps the fastest. I just do not like the thought of you forging ahead with the pack not too far in front either."

"I will not engage in fruitless fighting." Liruliniel promised, she wouldn't. She was fast, if anyone had a chance of overtaking the pack, it was her. "I need to do this."

"I may not wholly understand why, despite your reasons given, but I do understand that I will not be able to stop you. I just wish you luck and we will see you when we arrive. Try and save some orcs for us though, it wouldn't do to allow you to have all the glory." Legolas quipped, smirk in place as he looked at her pointedly.

Liruliniel clapped him on the shoulder, "My friend, I am good, I am not that good. But I shall see you both soon. Rest well," Liruliniel said standing if only to lean down and kiss the top of his head. It was an action which had Legolas frowning her way suddenly uncertainly, it was a level of affection which she perhaps hadn't shown him since he was a child. Yet he just sat and watched her shrink into the shadows and up a tree, soon she was out of sight.

Liruliniel did feel slight niggling exhaustion pulling at her limbs. But she meant what she said, there had to be a contingency plan in place for the worst case scenario. If not, a lot of people were going to die. A lot of people who had no place or purpose amongst the squabble between dwarves and dragon. And that was something Liruliniel could not abide, the senseless loss of innocent lives. As often the way when such matters arise, the innocents would always be the ones who would be the ones suffering the most. And she was sick and tired of this endless cycle.