The One and Only Part

Sometimes I wish I hadn't ever joined the rebels. I always questioned what would have happened if my mother hadn't died when I was five and I didn't have to keep an eye on my younger sister. I didn't even realize I will be turning 13 in a few days. It's not like I could celebrate or anything. All that will happen is my sister will make a big deal of it.

"Wake up, everyone," yelled my group's commanding officer.

"Sir, yes, sir," my group yelled back.

I quickly got dressed in the only clothing I have and ran to breakfast before I was late for the announcements.

I heard my name called, "Tyler," it was my little sister, "Come sit with me."

"Ok give me a few minutes, Mira," I replied.

I got some food from the breakfast table and started on my way to sit with my sister when Parker, the biggest bully of the rebels, stepped in my way and said, "Come with me Tyler."

"Why would I go anywhere with you?" I asked him.

"Because the General has asked for your presence in the conference room," he answered as he started to drag me out of the hall.

My food splattered all over him, but he didn't even flinch. Eventually I was able to pull myself from his grip enough to walk on my own. When we arrived at the conference, he knocked on the door.

Someone I didn't recognize answered the door muttering something I couldn't hear very well. I was then grabbed by the scruff of my shirt and dragged into the room.

"Will someone tell me why I am here?" I questioned.

"Tyler, is it?" The person I assumed was the General asked. The General didn't give me an answer.

I studied the person, they looked like they were in charge, but I could be mistaken. I finally said, "Yes, that is me."

"And I'm told you have a little sister who is only 10 years of age, is that correct?" The person questioned.

The voice didn't tell me I was gonna die or anything, so I became more relaxed and noticed there were 11 other figures around the room. I also noticed they were all wearing masks. I felt stupid that I didn't realize that before.

The person said, "I asked you a question, so you are supposed to answer it."

"Sorry, and yes, that is correct," I answered.

"I believe you will do fine then," the General said.

"Huh?" I said without realizing I said it.

The General looked up at me and said, "You are going to go to the surface and report what crimes you see up there." He made it sound as if I should already know that.

"Why me?" I asked.

The general gestured for someone else to answer. One of the shadows moved forward to answer the question. The person's mask, who stepped forward, kind of looked like a tiger's face shape.

The tiger faced person replied, "We have watched you and found you to be satisfactory to our needs." Tiger face's voice was very raspy like he or she hasn't had water for several hours.

"So when do I start?" I must like questions because I keep asking them.

A different masked person stepped forward and said, "You are to go now. You may take anyone with you or you can go alone?"

"What about my sister?" Wow great question, right? Even more questions.

"No, she will be safer here. After All above ground will be probably the most dangerous mission you will get for the time being," the general answered.