33. Trouble When You're Near

It's been three days since I last saw Dr. Bryant. After he told me his story, he left right after. We exchanged numbers in case I needed to talk. I think so far I've been doing great as long as I don't think about my past. Most of the time I listen to music or text Marcus to annoy him. It's now night time so everything in the hospital is slow pace. Mom's been out there talking to that detective guy, so I figure why not call Marcus.

First I make sure my headphones are in because I don't need mom or Nurse Jayde walking in hearing his voice. Dialing his number it rung for three rings until his slow self decided to pick up.

"Hello?" he mumbled, he must of been asleep since his background was pitch black dark. Oh well it's time to wake up.

"Hey, big head. What you doing?" At this point I just like messing with him just because I can.

He smacked his teeth, "Girl you know what I was doing, but wassup ugly?" I frowned into the phone because him and I both know that I'm not ugly.

"Well ugly I'm on the phone with a weirdo, so yeah..."

"If I'm so much of a weirdo why call me?" he asked, cutting on his light on in his room. From of the looks of it, it seemed like he was staying at a hotel.

"Because I can. Anymore questions? Besides, that why are in hotel?" I asked taking in his surroundings.

"Aww someone misses me, but yeah I booked one. Mom fussed me out about it but I can't stay in that house. I can't stand dad and his constant lectures on what else he thinks I should do with my life." he shrugged off.

"That sucks but tell mom I said hey." I smiled remembering Mrs. Sandra and her cooking. I only met her three times but she was still someone I thought about. Mostly because she fed, but also mainly because she was so sweet.

"Nope... No one can know that I keep in contact with you. I don't care if she is my mom." I roll my eyes because at this point he's being aggy.

"Such a little -" I began to whisper until I got caught.

"I'm what? Go ahead and run that back. Repeat it." he said in all serious that made me gulp.

"Shut up Marcus. It's not even that deep. You already left so what can they do?"

He rolled his eyes into the phone. "I'm not about to argue with you Kai."

"Whatever..." I heard footsteps so I need to hang up.

"I think someone is about to come in here, so I'll text or call you later."

He nodded his head while cutting the light back off in the room preparing to go back to sleep. "Ok, bye Kai."

On cue right after I hang up mom comes into the room smiling at me. "Who was that?" she asked pointing to my being nosy.

"Nobody important than a friend from the diner," she smiled believing me. Thank god. I'm not the type to lie to my mom but sometimes you just have no choice. Though I partially lied. Marcus is someone important to me and I would say he's more than a friend. Not the way that you're probably thinking but he's like my bestie. The only thing I lied about was knowing him from the diner.

"That's good to know that you are talking to somebody outside of the hospital walls." Yeah if only she knew.

"I was outside with Detective Anderson looking for Dr. McCall. He said they had a talk, but right after he hasn't heard a word from him. Not going to lie it's weird how he did leave without a word."

"Yeah sure."

This can't be good. The longer Marcus stays gone the longer all of this will take. I wish mom would just call this whole case off, but nope she wants to be captain save a Kai.

...

The next morning I grabbed my phone to see the time and I saw three messages from Marcus. It was three attachment photos of him and his mom and a message that read.

She said hi and that she misses seeing you. And also she told me I had to bring you some food back.

I laughed while looking back at the pictures. The first photo contained Marcus and Mrs. Sandra at the park. Where we come from there is literally nothing in town except for gas stations and grocery stores. I'm just glad he's away from this mess that's here. When I look through the rest of the photos, I frown seeing not a single picture of them with his father. One of these days I want to know the whole story between them two. It's always about me and no I'm not that selfish. We still talk about him but he never goes into depth. I'm honestly just waiting for Marcus to open up to me because I can't make him. I'm just going to give him time to confess like he gave me.

Mom sat in the corner reading something on her phone not paying attention to anything else. While Nurse Jayde cleaned and changed my bandages and bought me breakfast. Today it was apple juice and toast with some weird looking turkey bacon. Basically meaning no breakfast for me. All of a sudden you can hear a loud commotion going on outside my room. Some people are just reckless like it's a time and place. And it's definitely not here at a hospital.

Then a voice yelled, "Where she at!" The voice made me jump and it made mom drop her phone onto the ground.

Nurse Jayde sighed loudly and turned to mom, "Keep an eye on her please, while I go see what's happening."

This can't be happening. I'm trying to get better but nobody wants to see me winning. The sound of yelling echoed throughout the room. As you can see it's always trouble when he's near.